2 Innovative Features in Frigate v0.13 that I would love to see in BlueIris

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Does someone have access to Ken's ears? The competition is innovating in a few areas.

Here is a recent blog article: Frigate NVR Version 13
There is a related YouTube video.

There are 2 innovative features in Frigate v0.13 that would be cool to see in BlueIris:

#1: Get autotracking out of dumb PTZ cameras. It's achieved using GitHub - tryolabs/norfair: Lightweight Python library for adding real-time multi-object tracking to any detector.

#2: Smart audio detection, using AI model for detecting a list trained audio events like a bark, whistle, rooster, etc... This is done thru Sound classification with YAMNet | TensorFlow Hub

Last edited:

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
I think Frigate is really gaining steam. Still a ways off from being a real challenge to BI but if they keep innovating, rather than copying, they have a good chance of at least getting close.

The autotracking out of "dumb" PTZs is an excellent idea. There's a couple members here who have used multiple triggers to do the same but having actually having that feature in a VMS is a big step up.

Smart audio detection. I can see how the sound of a chain link fence being scaled would be useful in many, many situations. As would detecting human voices during hours when they're shouldn't be any. This is really another dimension to surveillance.

Do you you know if Frigate now has PTZ options? When I checked a year or so ago, it was on the radar but not implemented.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@CanCuba No idea. I tried it awhile back and was not impressed. Too many things I need was missing. But I might have to try the latest version now to see how well these features work.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, it has some very cool AI features but it's not really a replacement for BI as a full-featured VMS.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Going to watch a few videos today about the new version and see how it's come along. May take another year or two to get it where it needs to be.