2 IP cameras on 1 CAT6 cable - Need suggestions

RoyR

n3wb
Reaction score
I am reasonably skilled in electronics, but I am a novice with security cameras. I have been using a system for my country home that was set up by a professional security company, but their replacement cameras and their labor are too expensive. I am hoping to go it alone and manage the system myself.
I have a Speco hybrid DVR which supports up to 8 cameras. It supports both Analog and IP cameras. The analog cameras use the lower number ports and the IP cameras use the rest, i.e. 4 analog and 4 IP or 6 analog and 2 IP, etc. This mix is defined in the hybrid set-up. If I tell it I have 5 analog cameras, it assumes the last 3 are IP.
My current configuration has 6 analog cameras and 1 IP camera. I have 1 open port. The IP camera is powered locally about 150 ft from my house on a power pole. I ran CAT6 cable to the pole, so it is wired. At the DVR end it connects to the DVR via one Ethernet port. There is only 1 Ethernet port on the back of the DVR.
The power pole is too far from my house to use Wi-Fi.
I want to add another camera on the same remote pole but facing the other direction. I want to share the existing CAT6 cable for the 2nd camera. I have been told that I need a switch. I can also power this camera locally so I will not need to have POE.
My question is: "How do I share one CAT6 cable for two IP cameras?"
I am guessing that I can use different twisted pairs from the CAT6 cable and connect the DVR end to a switch, then connect the switch to the one Ethernet port on the DVR.
That is pretty much all I know. I would like to get recommendations for a switch and any better suggestions on how to configure this network .
Any guidance would be deeply appreciated.
Thanks

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You can wire one Cat6 to be 2x basic ethernet with no power by using the different twisted pairs. Cat6 probably would go 150ft but personally I'd put another cable in or use a wireless camera for the extra one (wifi is ok for one or two cameras not an entire system!)

suddenstop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Del Boy is correct - you can split the cat 6 ethernet as mentioned above, and are limited to 10/100 speeds. 1000 speeds use all pairs.

Doing the splitting and connecting on the pole will probably leave you with a bunch of connections to waterproof etc. not ideal.

I would look into something like this:

Amazon.com: CyberData 2-Port PoE Gigabit Switch - 2 Ports - 2 x POE+ - 10/100/1000Base-T - PoE Ports - Desktop: Computers & Accessories

That is a 2 port switch which is gigabit capable and even works for poe.

If you are going to split, you can use:

Amazon.com : WT-MMF-RJ45 RJ45 Ethernet Cable Combiner Splitter Kit - combines two data lines on one Ethernet cable : Camera & Photo

Again that will limit your speeds which might be sufficient and can still use POE. I personally would stick with wired in your situation.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
100 mbps ethernet uses 2 of the 4 pairs in the cat-whatever cable. Most switches send the power on the same wires as the data, leaving 2 pairs unused. POE injectors typically send the power on the unused wires. The cameras use either method. So if using a POE switch you can make adapters on both ends to use a single cable to carry 2 ports from the switch. I've done this on a ~250 foot cat5e cable with no issues other than weatherproofing considerations on the camera end.

Tehnicni

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Local power is not good because of lightning, which more often destroy switch and camera.