2 IR illuminators and their differences

trauts14

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I own and like this: Amazon.com : CMVision CMVE-IR15 Wide Angle 60-80° Power LED IR Array Illuminator 200-300' Long Range with Free 12VDC 3A Power Adaptor, 15 Piece : Motion Detectors : Camera & Photo
and it is super bright. 3amps and 12v.

i see this for sale: AXTON Smart AT-8S-A 60° Infrared Illuminator AT-8S-A.8SA2860

i am happy with my CMVision. but technically speaking, what is the major difference? the one i own is cheap and strong. the expensive Axton appears to draw less amps. does Axton use far superior LEDs? why are the Axton's so much more?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Take care about all those IR projectors, too powerfull for the distance/subject may burn closer subject like human faces that will show full white so no possible ID

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Take care about all those IR projectors, too powerfull for the distance/subject may burn closer subject like human faces that will show full white so no possible ID
Don't mount them right next to the cameras as well. The washout he's describing is easy to avoid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am also testing difference between old LED "grid" style and new few power LEDs, I prefer old style because light is much less focused, "smoother" for short distance, question of taste

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm also baffled by the difference in price on some of the IR illuminators on the market. :confused:

Some differences
The Axton has IO ports and built in power supply, looks to be much better made and assume it may last longer.

.....Ahhh Axton has Lifetime warranty- CMvision 1 year...

But.....$69 vs $305? 500% better/longer? I suppose..

trauts14

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm also baffled by the difference in price on some of the IR illuminators on the market. :confused:

Some differences
The Axton has IO ports and built in power supply, looks to be much better made and assume it may last longer.

.....Ahhh Axton has Lifetime warranty- CMvision 1 year...

But.....$69 vs $305? 500% better/longer? I suppose..

trauts14

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have 2 different CMVision models and both work well and are strong. I have no experience with Axton, but you could buy a few crappy CMs and trash them for the price of one Axton.

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Got to love the ability to be able to Nitrogen flush an IR light housing. Guess if nitrogen if great for packing small goods and salads in bags at the supermarket and supposedly good for inflating your tyres with, then hang the expense I will be gas flushing all my sealed electronics.

trauts14

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would love to see a comparison of an Axton or some high end illuminator vs an inexpensive one that draws the same electricity. I imagine the premium illuminators use the best LEDs.

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@SquareEyes what illuminator are you using? what exactly are you flushing with nitrogen? cleaning out the unit?
The AXTON link in OP goes to B&H photo and it states in the overview "The rugged IP67-rated housing protects against dust and direct water sprays, and can be nitrogen purged." .

This info is confirmed at the manufacturers product page

I do not have the time or inclination to read the tech docs to find out if the purge needs to be carried out under a vacuum or it can be done in the atmosphere with built in valves.

For certain applications, I am sure there is a demand for controlled internal atmospheres but it is not in this forum.

EDIT: Forgot to answer the question beacsue of the high tech spec of the AXTON. I use Hobovisin gear, cheap as chips and bloody reliable if you use dielectric grease on the conectors and don't place them too close to the ceiling in a hot environment or anywhere hot at night.

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would love to see a comparison of an Axton or some high end illuminator vs an inexpensive one that draws the same electricity. I imagine the premium illuminators use the best LEDs.

Raytec are VERY good but you get what you pay for. Check out some of their other videos.

Designed and built in the UK. Actually a lot of really good CCTV gear is pommy. After-all they are the most surveilled people on the planet.

Unlike some of the other high end products you can buy it in retail quantities.

EDIT: yes they probably use the best LEDs but they likely all come out of the same factory in China. The difference being is that the good companies likely have extremely highly skilled people who consider all facets of the end product before committing to manufacture. Whereas the Chinese copy cats make something that looks similar without taking into account a long term reputation. Build it cheap, churn it out and once customers realise they have been dudded move on to new market/customer base.

Last edited:

0blar

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi everybody

Hope i will not make trouble on this post.

I'm on the way to buy some POE/12V IR led illuminator and I'm a newbe.
I have some HDW5231R-Z and HDBW5231R-Z outside my garden (50 ft x 65 ft), not yet installed.
The garden has no light outside, and i need to secure that part of the house.

Can you advise me what ir illuminator do i need ?

I also need advice regarding Active IR Fence sensot, what do you advise me ?

Thanks

Attachments