IPCT 2 MP Starlight IR Fixed Turret Network Camera, 2.8mm, Powered by Night Eye

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Holy crap, @TonyR! Up here in VA, thunder in Feb is really odd (and the old wives saying is that snow will follow within ten days). We get somewhat close lightning strikes out here, but (knock on wood) no damage so far... maybe because our utilizes are underground. For a close hit like that, would there be any advantage to having one of those "whole home surge protectors" that wire into the breaker box?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Holy crap, @TonyR! Up here in VA, thunder in Feb is really odd (and the old wives saying is that snow will follow within ten days).
Same here...which is why it caught me off guard. But when you go from 30 degrees to 70 back and forth twice in 48 hours something bad is going to happen!

Holy crap, @TonyR! For a close hit like that, would there be any advantage to having one of those "whole home surge protectors" that wire into the breaker box?
I've had one from the local utility plus a $6 month protection plan that they are paid. The unit is made in FL (lightning capital of the world, I've heard) and it was in place 2 years ago when a similar event occurred. I didn't pursue a claim with them then, I intend to this time as soon as I can get PC going, etc.

It seems insurance is the way to go...whole house surge protector, new Cyberpower UPS and the nearby strikes come in thru the powerline, past the surge prot. behind the meter and thru the UPS like a straight wire. Around here, unplug when you can, have insurance when you can't. :idk:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for your perseverance on this Mike.

I'd love some good news of any kind. While I was away from home yesterday for an hour an unexpected thunderstorm popped up. A nearby strike about 800 feet away at the top of a wood power co. pole near the insulator for the 15KV primary took out my sun room ductless HVAC, the Vizio soundbar on the TV, a 32" Vizio smart TV in the spare bedroom, an 8 port switch, a Unifi access point and my BI server PC. Not sure about any cams, as I cant find them on the network with wife's PC until I get another switch. I could hobble something together to look for them one at a time but no point since the server is down anyway.....plus I'm too pissed off right now anyway...I think I could chew nails if necessary. I'm avoiding any contact with anybody right now that requires patience and understanding, as what little I have is saved for my wife...she's got pneumonia for God's sake. :facepalm:

The good news is that the wife sounds a bit better today, she had a good night last night. Also, the 65" Sony 4K/3D TV was not plugged into the UPS and it's HDMI cable was unplugged from satellite DVR...a habit I formed 2 years ago when an even closer event took that our first Sony 65" out.
Ugh, sorry to hear all that. Major pain in the ass indeed.
Hope your wife gets better soon, pneumonia is no fun, been there. Blah.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Holy crap, @TonyR! Up here in VA, thunder in Feb is really odd (and the old wives saying is that snow will follow within ten days). We get somewhat close lightning strikes out here, but (knock on wood) no damage so far... maybe because our utilizes are underground. For a close hit like that, would there be any advantage to having one of those "whole home surge protectors" that wire into the breaker box?
Here on the Ohio River, nothing is a surprise in the winter time. We get the entire gamut some years. Some of our worst Tornadoes have been in Jan and November. Evansville tornado of November 2005 - Wikipedia

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Tony, sounds like you've got the same kind of luck I have. We had really heavy winds on Sunday night into Monday and it wrecked havoc with the power grid. It kept dropping for about a second, randomly all Sunday night and finally stopped around noon on Monday. We didn't lose anything but the cable boxes were in an almost constant state of reboot so we couldn't watch "The Spew"!

I really don't think any surge protector can stop all spikes, especially when the strike is close and "direct". I know they're rated to handle that, but between Mother Nature being a Mother and Murphy's Law, they don't seem to live up to the hype. Even the really expensive stuff power companies use can't handle direct, or near direct, strikes. Smartest thing to do is either unplug from the wall or unplug from the grid and use a generator when it starts getting threatening. Even that won't stop a direct hit though.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Tony, sounds like you've got the same kind of luck I have. We had really heavy winds on Sunday night into Monday and it wrecked havoc with the power grid. It kept dropping for about a second, randomly all Sunday night and finally stopped around noon on Monday. We didn't lose anything but the cable boxes were in an almost constant state of reboot so we couldn't watch "The Spew"!

I really don't think any surge protector can stop all spikes, especially when the strike is close and "direct". I know they're rated to handle that, but between Mother Nature being a Mother and Murphy's Law, they don't seem to live up to the hype. Even the really expensive stuff power companies use can't handle direct, or near direct, strikes. Smartest thing to do is either unplug from the wall or unplug from the grid and use a generator when it starts getting threatening. Even that won't stop a direct hit though.
As far as the Dell PC (server for BI) goes, the m/b is fried. ESD from the nearby hit came in on CAT-5e in attic, got the Unifi, switch and on to the Realtek RTL8111E Ethernet chip on the m/b...blew the hole in it as you can see, below. M/B on order, here on Fri. 3/8.

RTL_8111E_030219.jpg

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, @TonyR that sucks
Thanks...I've had worse, as have others near me have too.

It was a 2 prong attack from mama nature....the 32" Vizio TV in the spare BR and the Vizio soundbar on the 65" Sony in the LR were likely via power line (VERY glad I had unplugged the Sony), whereas the Unifi AP, switch and PC were via CAT-5e in the attic. But the Ubiquiti passive power injector to the Unifi was killed also! Who knows and it makes no diff anyway...lightning's gonna do what lightning's gonna do...no way to completely prevent it unless you are VERY vigilant, never go anywhere and never plug anything in and use it! :idk:

HT7

n3wb
Reaction score
i got one of these cameras, i really like it a lot.
cross line works a lot better on this camera than dahua i have, wish i could have more than 4 lines :)
i have few questions maybe somebody could answer for noob :) (just started using cameras)
i am on mac.
all configs are done on browser (chrome), record events to sd card. how can i view recordings on browser?
the only way i found only through ivms4200 mac software, any other options?
also
how can i make/save default live view to be main stream (on browser) ? every time i click live view it goes on sub stream.

Kaos

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I also ordered one. I have bought several Dahua cameras over the past year and settled on the Dahua HDW5321 being the best out the bunch (also the most expensive). When I saw this IPCT-HDW5231RE-I and read where it compared to the Dahua model, I ordered one. If it does meet my needs I plan to order many more. It should arrive tomorrow.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have used multiple of these junction boxes on my system. They are a quality product. Be aware that Hikvision/LTS has multiple similar models for different style cameras. I recently had to replace a camera after 2.5 years and the inside of the junction box was still pristine despite being exposed to Florida weather.

The only observation that I have is that if you cannot come in directly through the bottom of the box, and have to access the box through the side mounted weather resistant port, the port is quite large (large enough to pass through a RJ45 connector and rubber cover) and needs to be filled in with some weather resistant sealant.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
So how does this compare to the Dahua 2Mp starlight, has anybody had the opportunity to compare.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
So how does this compare to the Dahua 2Mp starlight, has anybody had the opportunity to compare.
I'm probably biased but I prefer it over the Starlight. I think the colors are more vibrant and less washed during the day and the night time pic is very comparable. I'm thinking I should install them side by side and post some results, but would love to hear some member's honest opinions.

Kaos

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I got mine in and installed.
My past experience with cameras have been mostly with wireless Foscam. I had set them up at my previous home / barn and they worked ok, but being wireless there were always issues popping up.. We moved last year and I wanted a more reliable wired system and looked to this forum for recommendations. I eventually decided on Dahua cameras and began buying different ones to determine what worked best for our small farm. We use cameras most importantly for inside the barn during kidding season and less important for security on the outside.
In my sig you can see the Dahua cams I have and currently use, my favorite being the HDW5231RP-Z. I was about to order a couple of more of the 5231's when I saw the comparable IPCT HDW5231RE-I and decided to try it.
First, I love the setup utility. I didn't have to change my my pc's ip address to access the camera! Finally, a simple way to setup a camera and quick! Another thing, I don't have to install a plug in EVERY SINGLE TIME I want to access the camera in my browser! Wow, that is so aggravating with Dahua (probably other cameras too). Anyway, not knocking Dahua cameras, I just don't understand why they don't have smoother setup like this IPCT HDW5231RE-I.
The physical install of the IPCT HDW5231RE had no issues, hardest part was getting the plastic shroud back on right. I installed the camera outside on a 6X6 wood post under a metal roof in sort of a tight space, so twisting the shroud was a little difficult. I am very pleased with the image quality. It is as good or better than the Dahua. The area of the pasture it is pointing at is very dark so the amount of light in the photo is surprising. I haven't tried to adjust the image quality over default much yet, happy the way it is for now. In the middle of construction plus other things keeping us busy right now. Just wanted to post a quick "it works great!" post for the IPCT Camera.
One negative note for me, It needs a mic. We need mics on our indoor barn cameras, that's a must for our kidding season.

Attachments

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Another thing, I don't have to install a plug in EVERY SINGLE TIME I want to access the camera in my browser! Wow, that is so aggravating with Dahua (probably other cameras too).
FWIW, the latest Dahua 5X3X firmware that Andy shared (12282018 I think) doesn't require a plugin for Chrome or Firefox anymore (don't know about IE). I was surprised that my first-gen 5231RP-Zs (two years old at this point) supported this, but it works great so far.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FWIW, the latest Dahua 5X3X firmware that Andy shared (12282018 I think) doesn't require a plugin for Chrome or Firefox anymore (don't know about IE). I was surprised that my first-gen 5231RP-Zs (two years old at this point) supported this, but it works great so far.
IE still ask's for a plugin.
The No plugin works even in Edge.