2 mp starlight settings help

brad2388

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have one camera that im trying to capture a plate when vehicles drive by. What kinda settings do i need to use in order to do that? Im going to attach a video of what i have and how i have it pointed.

Im not sure if that works or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
You are getting motion blur in a low light situation. Without knowing your specific cam model, one really can't give you directions.

Check out the LPR part of this forum. LPR is part tech and part art. You will have to experiment with your settings to get a useful image. Your settings will have to be different in daylight versus low light/night time.

In general, for daytime you want the fastest shutter speed you can get that still provides enough light to illuminate the plate, but will freeze the motion and stop blur.

At night you want fast shutter, like 1/2000, to stop the blur, and good IR to reflect the plate. Most folks end up with a black image with just the plate and head/tail lights visible.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And the camera cannot do double duty, especially at night. At night the image will be black and all you will see are head/tail lights and the plate as the vehicle goes by. Check out the LPR subforum as many of us have posted our settings and examples.

brad2388

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have other cams pointing in the same direction so i can use this one as a lpr.

Ill go over and check out the settings in the subforum there.

Thanks for the guidance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk