(2) NVR’s different networks recording the same camera

dgonzalezO4

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just as the tittle says.

(1st) NVR on it’s on WAN network.

(2nd) NVR on its own WAN network.

how can I have both NVRS recording (2) cameras.

it’s the same building where everything will be installed. They just want to share the parking lot cameras without having to put (2) additional cameras looking at the same parking lot.

cctv-dave

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You've said little about the LAN side of things so it's not easy to figure out what's going on and make a recommendation.

If both recorders LAN ports (assume they are twin NIC NVR's, not one NIC with built in switch?) are part of the same network and the cams are also on it, then no problem.
But I say that with a big fat caveat of "you've not given enough information"

List some model numbers and try to explain the topology.

dgonzalezO4

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You've said little about the LAN side of things so it's not easy to figure out what's going on and make a recommendation.

If both recorders LAN ports (assume they are twin NIC NVR's, not one NIC with built in switch?) are part of the same network and the cams are also on it, then no problem.
But I say that with a big fat caveat of "you've not given enough information"

List some model numbers and try to explain the topology.
hmmmm, well

Lets assume its two building next to each other. Business ONE has a NVR5216-16 and so does the other busniess. Each business has their own internet services. Business ONE has (2) cameras overseeing the parking lot. I want the other business to be able to view those two cameras on their own NVR. Does that make sense?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Are the 2 camera's on a POE switch?
or plugged directly in the NVR?
If so put those cameras on a POE switch with 192. scheme address, rather than the internal 10.10 scheme addressing ( defaults) in the NVR.
Then the Ip cam addresses might be routable.

cctv-dave

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Lets assume its two building next to each other.
Business ONE has a NVR5216-16 and so does the other busniess.
Each business has their own internet services.
Business ONE has (2) cameras overseeing the parking lot. I want the other business to be able to view those two cameras on their own NVR.
A few ways to do it
1) VPN(or router open ports) between the two business routers over the internet. Add the 2 cams as streams from NVR 1 to NVR 2 - same as you would add an IPC. Limited control over the IPC settings from NV2, potentially a good thing.
2) Put the two cams on their own PoE and open ports on business ONE router to business TWO router. Shares the cams directly, give more control to business TWO.
3) variations on above eg running a "LAN" cable (or wifi - shudder) between both buildings so the traffic isn't going over the internet.

dgonzalezO4

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I got it but I don’t.
But I can definitely put those two cameras on their own POE switch.I thought of taking an internal port from each NVR (let’s say port 8 and connecting them to the POE switch of the two cams. Each NVR is going to see all the cameras, but I will only add those two.

cctv-dave

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You could do that but you will have to add the cams separately on the second NVR and turn off the switch addressing. or the cams will get confused as to which NVR is master.
This used to work, I'm not sure if it still does tho, if port isolation has been turned on it wont.

You'd have to manually add the cameras on the 2nd NVR.
But because you've got more cams on both NVR's I'd not go this route. As you'd have to manually add ALL cameras.

With two cams on a PoE switch you would connect to them via the LAN side of each NVR
Which means bridging the networks of the two offices, or using another router/firewall between them and setting up routing on the side behind the firewall.

Yes it's getting more complicated than using the internet connection.