2 questions: Lead Flashing reflection on roof + POE Illuminators

sharpharp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just replaced my old Hikvision cam with a ds-2cd2342wd-i

In hindsight I should have got a bigger lens, but I got a 2.8mm. This is resulting in a wider angle and at night it's getting a bright area where it illuminates against the lead flashing on the roof... anyone else had this? Is there any settings on the cam I can tune to avoid the reflection and fogging in the opposite corner of the cam from the lead flashing reflection... I presume this is the built-in IR reflecting on the lead.

Another thing is spider webs, so I was going to buy a separate IR Illuminator.... I have a spare Ethernet line, so can anyone recommend a POE-powered IR Illuminator here in the UK?

Thanks,

cam235

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
There is a large selection of 12V illuminators. Those are much easier to find and less expensive than a POE illuminator. The good news is all you need is a converter. Search for "Active POE Splitter 12V" for example, this one can do 2 A output:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Active-PoE-Splitter-Power-Over-Ethernet-48V-to-12V-2A-for-IEEE802-3at-24Watt-/191832501272
the cheaper ones may be only 1 A. With 12V at 2A (24 watts) that's enough power for almost any IR illuminator, maybe even two or three.

I have several of these Univivi U06R units https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M3O5ERK which draw only 0.6 A at 12 V but they are still bright. They are not at all wide-angle, instead rather focused. Assuming you mount them at roof height, you just aim the hotspot at the most distant region, then the nearby areas get enough light from the spill off the edges of the beam, and the whole scene is usefully lit. For the most even illumination you want two or more lights separated some distance apart.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.