2 routers - 2 POE switches - 1 NVR?

BigLarge

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ive found 2 gigabit POE switches that are in my budget. The first one is a 16 ch with 2 uplink, and the 2nd is simply marked 8 ch and doesnt specify an uplink. (i'm not even sure what that means).

Is this how I hook it up?
Router 1 - 16ch Uplink 1
16ch Uplink 2 - NVR
16ch POE port 1 - 8ch Port 1

I've done a bit of reading and I thought I needed an uplink to connect to the 2nd POE switch

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Typically the uplink ports are meant for connecting to a LAN/backbone. Being Gig ports they can handle the aggregate traffic of the switch with no problem. So you want the interconnections between the buildings on the uplink ports and the cameras to the PoE ports.

BigLarge

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks - but wouldnt that require 3 uplinks? 1 to Router, 1 to NVR, 1 to 2nd switch?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about the router being on a Gig port. A 100 Mb port should be fine for it and it won't hurt, or be hurt by, being on a PoE port. Both devices, switch and route, will know it's not a PoE device and won't apply PoE voltage to it.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ive found 2 gigabit POE switches that are in my budget. The first one is a 16 ch with 2 uplink, and the 2nd is simply marked 8 ch and doesnt specify an uplink. (i'm not even sure what that means).
Maybe post links to or model number of what your thinking of buying and share what you're hoping to spend.

BigLarge

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Maybe post links to or model number of what your thinking of buying and share what you're hoping to spend.

Trying to stay under $300 for my POE switches, and want the bigger one to be a rack mount. Trying to stick with an unmanaged switch, as that side of networking i'm not very good at (nor do I have the time to learn).

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Trying to stay under $300 for my POE switches, and want the bigger one to be a rack mount. Trying to stick with an unmanaged switch, as that side of networking i'm not very good at (nor do I have the time to learn).
Here are some other options:
(9 ports, 8 PoE+, 120W total power budget)
(8 ports, 4 PoE+, 64W total power budget)

(18 ports, 16PoE+ 135W power budget)
(16 PoE+ ports, 76 W power budget which is on the low end)
(16 PoE+ ports, 260W Power budget)
(16 PoE+ ports, 115W power budget)
(28 ports, 24 PoE+ 254W power budget, web managed)

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I had a bad experience with BV-Tech switches, weak power supplies will not come up under load.

I'm using these now and they have a robust power supply as do the NetGear and D-Links -