2 Thieves Caught in Act & at Gunpoint.

Bradmph

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Video is 18 minutes cut down from about an hour. If you have popcorn, it might be fun to watch.
I am just stoked I got them listen, but who argues with an un-chambered pistol pointed at you. lol
Got a hit on security cameras at around 3:30am today. Went to viewer and spot 2 young adults headed towards house. One goes up my driveway, other stands watch. I grab the gun, head out to meet them. Told the lookout kid to take a seat while having red laser site on his chest. Then point laser up driveway and lit up the second one with a red dot. Had him come down and grab a seat next to his partner. Called 911 and with in seconds the Police force arrived. Approx 5 SUV's and 1 unmarked. They pic the kids up and check my weapon. One is runaway escaped boys home, other is a unreported runaway. The one up in driveway told Police he had to take a dump, which was a lie. He gets a trespassing charge and will be released and given a warning. The other one's parents get a call from police and they come to pick him up. I'm not pressing charges since nothing was stolen because I caught that one before he did take or damage anything. Police said I scared them enough and that was all I wanted. I sure hope they can get some help before they get a record. Thanks Spokane Police for the instant arrival upon calling 911.
I do realize the many different issues that could of went down, but they didn't. Taking control and sensing the situation and reading body language is what I do very well though. It wasn't hard to feel that these kids gave up without a fight and surprising the shit out of them gave them no time to think of an alternate plan of escape. It wasn't a premeditated crime, it was a stupid mistake one did and got them both in trouble.

Last edited:

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Nice job. Glad everything seemed to go smoothly (didn't watch video)

But... You didn't have a bullet chambered? Have you ever watched self defense shootings caught on camera? If the bad guys have one chambered... They can get multiple shots off before you have a chance to rack one. Just a thought....

RobertM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Great example of a very capable homeowner not only relying on camera/alert technology, but PHYSICALLY responding face-to-face with smart tactics. Calm, direct, effective.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
It's always easy to MMQB, especially when in the comfort of a non-stress environment. I commend @Bradmph for taking a stand and proactively confronting the criminal element. Too many people - including those that are armed - are either afraid or reluctant to actually take responsibility for their own personal or property protection. This is a refreshing change.

The only thing that I would point out is how many times you turned your back to the suspect(s). I'm sure you had a better feel for the situation live, than what we're getting from the video, but when you went up the driveway, the lookout kid could have drawn his own weapon and ended you.

Once you display a deadly weapon, you have to assume that the gloves are off, and the other party will feel justified to use any and all means to escape or end the threat you represent.

The fact that both kids sat obediently while you went back inside (presumably to get your phone to call the po-po) shows they're incredibly naive and inexperienced criminals - both could have bolted during that window of opportunity, but instead completely surrendered. The odds of that happening again - especially with more seasoned criminals - is probably nil.

Thank you for taking a stand - and for sharing!

RobertM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
erkme - excellent post. 100% agreement with your 1st paragraph - very refreshing 'take charge' attitude. Kind of like a "not on my watch" demeanor.
Your other observations have merit and I'm glad that a best-case-scenario played out for the homeowner. Yes, homeowner probably saw their fear and lack of aggression in real-time - then made calculated decisions based on that gut feeling that they were shaking in their boots.
The suspects were wearing loose-fitting, baggy clothing which could easily hide weapons - but you can't exactly ask them to strip down to their underwear and lay face down on the sidewalk with their arms/legs spread.... or can you!?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good video for the OP to learn from.
First, not having a round in the chamber is always bad.

I could be wrong, but it appears you had your finger on the trigger. Not good.
You muzzled your foot multiple times.
Don't wave the gun around, like you did.
You stood too close to the perps, look up tueller drill.
You didn't know exactly how many there were when you left the house.
You shouldn't have pointed the gun at them. You should have held the gun (with both hands) at the low ready. (pointed in front of you at ground). In some state's, pointing the gun like you did could get you in trouble with the prosecutor.

There is a lawyer attached to every round you fire.

Not criticizing, just some pointers.

Good video work.

Flame away. :)

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Agree with all points made by @looney2ns and others, things don't always go the way you hope they might and they can go sideways in seconds.
But props to the OP for nabbing the little dirtbags.

One school of thought, which we teach, is not to leave your secure position inside the home to go chasing bad guys. Call 911, arm yourself, take up position "in case" and stay on the phone and wait for LE to handle it. Way too many variables and unknowns out there at night. Your life isnt worth the possible property theft. If they do go further and enter your home, then the law leans your way in many states like here in FloriDuh with Castle Doctrine, and even better, Presumption.

Dont get me wrong, I'd love to beat their little asses, hogtie 'em and leave 'em on the corner for the trash truck, but enough reminiscing about the good old days ;)

Bradmph

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Very nice job. How did the cameras wake you up to go watch?
I am a cam watcher, Sleep from about 4am to 12pm. I don't work so it makes the cam watching interesting. Lately we have had problems on the street and it forces me to watch for the walk through thieves.

Bradmph

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Nice job. Glad everything seemed to go smoothly (didn't watch video)

But... You didn't have a bullet chambered? Have you ever watched self defense shootings caught on camera? If the bad guys have one chambered... They can get multiple shots off before you have a chance to rack one. Just a thought....
You would of had to been there to know this situation. These were kids, opportunist that were looking for a grab and run.The one at end of driveway wanted nothing to do with the crime and it was clear he wasn't going to cause and problem. The one up the driveway was scared enough to start calling me sir, yes sir and also wasn't about to challenge a gun point issue. If they were older I would of chambered the weapon and not turned back on either. I had pretty much total control over them as you can see in the video that they didn't even try to run.

Bradmph

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It's always easy to MMQB, especially when in the comfort of a non-stress environment. I commend @Bradmph for taking a stand and proactively confronting the criminal element. Too many people - including those that are armed - are either afraid or reluctant to actually take responsibility for their own personal or property protection. This is a refreshing change.

The only thing that I would point out is how many times you turned your back to the suspect(s). I'm sure you had a better feel for the situation live, than what we're getting from the video, but when you went up the driveway, the lookout kid could have drawn his own weapon and ended you.

Once you display a deadly weapon, you have to assume that the gloves are off, and the other party will feel justified to use any and all means to escape or end the threat you represent.

The fact that both kids sat obediently while you went back inside (presumably to get your phone to call the po-po) shows they're incredibly naive and inexperienced criminals - both could have bolted during that window of opportunity, but instead completely surrendered. The odds of that happening again - especially with more seasoned criminals - is probably nil.

Thank you for taking a stand - and for sharing!
I didn't go back into house, My wife was standing outside at the front door with it open so she could go back into the house if needed and called 911 and then I went up and got the phone from her. Also, being there I again had total control of these 2 boys and sensed they were much much to scared to react to my threats. I told the first one if he moved, he would get a bullet. So, he obeyed...The other figured out he was popped and to not take a chance on getting shot. I do understand about turning back on a situation like this but I was confident these kids were extremely scared and the Police verified that they were also.

Bradmph

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Good video for the OP to learn from.
First, not having a round in the chamber is always bad.

I could be wrong, but it appears you had your finger on the trigger. Not good.
You muzzled your foot multiple times.
Don't wave the gun around, like you did.
You stood too close to the perps, look up tueller drill.
You didn't know exactly how many there were when you left the house.
You shouldn't have pointed the gun at them. You should have held the gun (with both hands) at the low ready. (pointed in front of you at ground). In some state's, pointing the gun like you did could get you in trouble with the prosecutor.

There is a lawyer attached to every round you fire.

Not criticizing, just some pointers.

Good video work.

Flame away. :)
Gun was unchambered, wouldn't matter where it was waving. The laser was all I needed in this situation and some firm commands to take control of the problem. Gun had to be pointed for laser to put fear in them. If they were older, things could of been different and I would of taken cover and turned out the porch lite as well.

Bradmph

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Agree with all points made by @looney2ns and others, things don't always go the way you hope they might and they can go sideways in seconds.
But props to the OP for nabbing the little dirtbags.

One school of thought, which we teach, is not to leave your secure position inside the home to go chasing bad guys. Call 911, arm yourself, take up position "in case" and stay on the phone and wait for LE to handle it. Way too many variables and unknowns out there at night. Your life isnt worth the possible property theft. If they do go further and enter your home, then the law leans your way in many states like here in FloriDuh with Castle Doctrine, and even better, Presumption.

Dont get me wrong, I'd love to beat their little asses, hogtie 'em and leave 'em on the corner for the trash truck, but enough reminiscing about the good old days ;)
The big officer came into our home and informed me I did exactly the right thing in this situation. He said the kids were very scared and not having chambered the gun kept a possible shooting where I would of been taken in from happening. He commended me for staying calm and keeping my head on straight. He also explained the laws that our state follow in this situation. I would hate to accidentally fire off a bullet when purely no aggression was given by these kids. Had to a been there to know the reasons I acted as such.

Bradmph

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You also turned your back on the guy sitting down, that would have been the perfect time to draw his weapon if he had one.
Had to of been there. These kids were not about to make a move. They also were warned if they did try to leave, I would put one in them.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Glad it worked out for you this time, really. And kudos to you for taking in all the comments without getting defensive, and you're right, we weren't there.

I could probably run across 8 lanes of traffic on I-4 in rush hour nine times without getting hit, but that 10th time could be a bitch ;) Just saying that in a different precinct, with a different cop, or a different "innocent" teen, things could have gone quite differently. Beyond the tactical and safety concerns, from a legal standpoint the situation didnt appear to involve either of the two conditions necessary to justify pulling a gun let alone point it: 1) fear of death or great bodily harm, or 2) in some states but not all - stopping a forcible felony in progress.

A good learning experience for sure, and again glad it worked out ok.