2 X DS-2CD2045FWD-I Recording Length Issues

Aurelio

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I have 2 DS-2CD2045FWD-I

I have checked every setting on both cameras and the settings on both are identical, one of the cameras records more days that the other, each camera has the same allocated space on my NAS, the recording schedule is set to continuous on both and have checked they both too are identical, I have spent quite some time checking things but have come to no conclusion why this is happening.

Any help would be most gladly welcomed.

Many Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like possibly your bitrates and/or FPS are different on the cameras and/or the encoding (maybe one is H265 and the other is using the H264 or smart encoding, etc.)

Or you have them set to VBR and one scene of a camera is requiring a higher bitrate than the scene being seen in the other camera. Two identical cameras set up exactly the same but pointed at different areas can do this as one camera scene can require a higher bitrate than the other.

Two of my cameras that are the same and same settings has one averaging 8192bitrate while the other averages about 4000bitrate using VBR, so the one with 8192fills up storage faster.

So make sure bitrates, FPS, encoding are the same, and change to CBR and they should in theory start to match a little closer.

Aurelio

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi wittaj

Thanks for taking the time to reply and the indepth explanation, the bitrates (both are CBR), encoding and FPS are exactly identical.
I noticed the different recording day lengths some time ago, so I decided to format the HDD allocated space for both cameras (each camera has a seperate allocation, not shared), then as a test went meticulously through each cameras settings and make all the settings identical on both, which is what I did, hence my reason for posting for help.

So, yeah every setting is identical, didn't want to go down the route of a factory reset at this stage but that might be my next option.
Both have the same firmware too!!

Any more suggestions would be appreciated

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I’d expect to see that if one had more activity than the other. If you had the ability to lay both cameras on the bench staring at a wall and found the storage use was greater from the other.

There’s a problem if all else being equal . . .

Aurelio

n3wb
Reaction score
Sounds like possibly your bitrates and/or FPS are different on the cameras and/or the encoding (maybe one is H265 and the other is using the H264 or smart encoding, etc.)

Or you have them set to VBR and one scene of a camera is requiring a higher bitrate than the scene being seen in the other camera. Two identical cameras set up exactly the same but pointed at different areas can do this as one camera scene can require a higher bitrate than the other.

Two of my cameras that are the same and same settings has one averaging 8192bitrate while the other averages about 4000bitrate using VBR, so the one with 8192fills up storage faster.

So make sure bitrates, FPS, encoding are the same, and change to CBR and they should in theory start to match a little closer.
I’d expect to see that if one had more activity than the other. If you had the ability to lay both cameras on the bench staring at a wall and found the storage use was greater from the other.

There’s a problem if all else being equal . . .

Well, fellas, my wife said to me some years ago, most solutions to problems, generally are simple and I have to admit (as most men don't like to :)) she is right.

Often I've read posts in forums and seen people say "I've checked everything, honest" well it looks like I'm one of those people who didn't check everything correctly.

My bitrates are set to VBR and guess that's the reason for the differnces, yes the one camera that records less days does recieve more activity.

How stupid do I feel Now!!

So thank you, for your input, I'll try them both at CBR and am confident that will prove that you're right.

Many thanks again!!

No Magic Pills for Anything!