2019 New Years Fireworks Deck View

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
Some of the sights and sounds just after midnight. Exactly at the 1 minute mark of this video a flight on final approach to the airport downtown enters the screen at the top left. The video ends shortly after the plane exits the screen on the right. Happy New Year everyone!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are those professional pyrotechnics? When I lived in Santa Clara Co. 1975 to 2004 fireworks were not permitted to be sold to or set off by everyday people, only certified professional pyrotechnicians.

BTW, great video and a welcome departure from the "normal" fare, I'll bet, for you...no stop-sign-bong-huffers, no trailer-pullin'-crap-scatterers, no bush-huntin'-gotta-pissers, no HumVee-motor-trashers and so-on and so-on (which we ALL love, bro). :headbang:

EDIT: Memory's fuzzy after 40+ years, seems like mid 70's to sometime in 80's fireworks were legal and then circa sometime in 80's because of all the fires in drought conditions only sparklers were sold, no other fireworks. Bottle rockets and Roman candles were not nice to the shake roofs.

Last edited:

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
The majority of these fireworks are not legal, but people set them off anyway. There are a lot more fireworks on the 4th of July.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The majority of these fireworks are not legal, but people set them off anyway. There are a lot more fireworks on the 4th of July.
True....as is theft, murder, rape, etc.....and people still do it (not to compare any of those with accidental fires). You're right, unfortunately.
I must have seen personally at least a half dozen fires caused by fireworks out there. I can understand why local municipalities or residences don't want them.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Lots of people set off some pretty decent fireworks around here on July 4 and New Year's. But it is all illegal. Not much harm in it in winter with snow all over the ground. In July, it always starts a few fires.

Years ago, when I was a kid, fireworks were legal in the county and city. We had a lot of fun!

Then, they made them illegal in the city limits. That was ridiculous because people then set them off out in the dry, windy prairie instead of in their green watered yards where nothing could burn, and you had your garden hose at the ready.

Eventually, the county made fireworks illegal as well. That just means that people go even farther away from civilization so they won't get caught when they set them off, so now it's even harder to get to the fires to put them out, and they grow large before being discovered. ;)

Last night at midnight, some pretty impressive fireworks were set off not too far from my house. I need to set up a couple of "weather cameras" to capture that sort of thing.

Good video, @lulu5kamz!