2021, which way is the best way to watch cameras on an Android phone?

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
I have used an Asus router(RT-AC88U w/Merlin firmware) with OpenVPN and with UI3 it worked great for years.
Now I have upgraded my router(GT-AC5300 stock firmware) I'm having a hard time setting up again OpenVPN.
OpenVPN requires a file with opvn extension, and the router send a file with a .cert extension. OpenVPN app does not recognize that, nor the Windows app.
So I can't add that file as a profile.
I'm stuck now.
Maybe I'm missing something, or maybe there is another way, that I'm not aware off, to see my cameras on my Android phone?
I'm reading about an BI app, but I can't find it.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As I have Google wifi, and it won't do VPN at the router, I went with ZeroTier. It basically provides a VPN direct to the BI computer. Simple to set up. Always on, although I do have to re-enable it when I reboot my Android phone. I then can use UI3 or the BI app. Doesn't matter if I am on my home wifi, other wifi or cell data.

David Messenger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I know this answer doesn't solve the problem with your current router, but did you consider upgrading to a Wi-Fi 6 router such as the RT-AX88U instead of another AC router? I am using the RT-AX88U after upgrading from the RT-AC66U and I can tell you I am very happy with it. I am also using Merlin and OpenVPN as you were doing with your old router. I've been using it for over a year now with no regrets. I usually have 30 to 32 devices, including 8 HD cameras (and oftentimes as many as 3 or 4 streaming devices) that are connected and in use at any one time with never a hint of buffering. I upgraded my desktop computer ( which is what I'm using for my BI server )to an Intel AX200 wireless adapter ( here is a link to the desktop installation kit I used Intel Wi-Fi AX200). I get a minimum connection speed on my desktop of 721 Mbps (frequently 865 Mbps) even with the desktop sitting inside a wooden desk. On my wife's laptop sitting on a table out in the open with the same adapter, I get a consistent 1.2 Gbps connection. My android phone is easily able to connect to my cameras using the BI android app. You might also be able to see them on your phone if you port forward your cameras, but that's not a good idea if you are concerned about security.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
The router(s) that I have are very good routers, I don't have issues in the house, I have three Asus routers(4, but 1 is not used at the moment), GT-AC5300, RT-AC88U and RT-AC3100.
I did something stupid, but a reset fixed the issue.
I have saved the configuration from the RT-AC88u, and after I have installed the GT-AD5300, I have uploaded the same configuration file.
It seems like it messed up something, because I was missing that feature on the new router.
I don't have cameras on the wifi(except the Ring pro doorbell), they are all on lan on a second nic card. I also have a lot of smart devices and everything works great, no issues with wifi.