2023 and 2024 Models Update

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That thermal side-by-side is awesome and shows how under certain conditions the visible camera could miss a person, but the thermal will still pick them up.

carteriii

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I have one of these thermal cameras, and I'm about to buy some more, BUT . . .

The camera still Internet Explorer with a plug-in! AAARRRGGGHHH. I was (& still am) furious that such a new and relatively expensive camera for Dahua would still require the IE plug-in. It should be embarrassing to them, but they don't care about users like us and just want people to buy their NVRs.

Andy tells me they are going to eventually release an update which does not require the plug-in, which is why I'm going to take a chance and buy more, and because the thermal image is compelling. I just hope that Dahua doesn't decide that new firmware requires a new rev of hardware.

Below is a screenshot from BI with the visual & thermal side-by-side, with me walking up my driveway. If you look closely, you can (but barely) see me in the left visual image, but my big hot head is very visible in the thermal image on the right. One thing to note in the thermal image is that my legs are pretty close in temperature to the driveway that was still radiating heat from earlier in the day, so the thermal doesn't add as much value unless there is a temperature difference. To get the angle that I want to view with the camera, it is angled slightly downward and so in the visual image (on the left) you can see that the built-in IR is lighting up the driveway, but as a result doesn't shine far enough out to be worth much.

I should add that built-in IVS with the thermal camera, communicated to BlueIris with ONVIF events, helps a lot to the point of being almost mandatory. No matter what thermal color palette you pick (like the one Andy included above), the DeepStack & CodeProject.AI object recognition isn't as good since the models haven't been trained on thermal images. But when my big hot head crosses a tripwire in the camera, it triggers every time. So be prepared to curse Dahua & Internet Explorer plug-ins if you want the best detection with this thermal camera.

thermal-side-by-side.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I have one of these thermal cameras, and I'm about to buy some more, BUT . . .

The camera still Internet Explorer with a plug-in! AAARRRGGGHHH. I was (& still am) furious that such a new and relatively expensive camera for Dahua would still require the IE plug-in. It should be embarrassing to them, but they don't care about users like us and just want people to buy their NVRs.

Andy tells me they are going to eventually release an update which does not require the plug-in, which is why I'm going to take a chance and buy more, and because the thermal image is compelling. I just hope that Dahua doesn't decide that new firmware requires a new rev of hardware.

Below is a screenshot from BI with the visual & thermal side-by-side, with me walking up my driveway. If you look closely, you can (but barely) see me in the left visual image, but my big hot head is very visible in the thermal image on the right. One thing to note in the thermal image is that my legs are pretty close in temperature to the driveway that was still radiating heat from earlier in the day, so the thermal doesn't add as much value unless there is a temperature difference. To get the angle that I want to view with the camera, it is angled slightly downward and so in the visual image (on the left) you can see that the built-in IR is lighting up the driveway, but as a result doesn't shine far enough out to be worth much.

I should add that built-in IVS with the thermal camera, communicated to BlueIris with ONVIF events, helps a lot to the point of being almost mandatory. No matter what thermal color palette you pick (like the one Andy included above), the DeepStack & CodeProject.AI object recognition isn't as good since the models haven't been trained on thermal images. But when my big hot head crosses a tripwire in the camera, it triggers every time. So be prepared to curse Dahua & Internet Explorer plug-ins if you want the best detection with this thermal camera.

View attachment 177788
It sucks about Explorer and the plug-ins LOL but we aren't the target market for these cams so until their intended customer complains we are stuck with outdated browsers.

It comes down to IE was the most popular browser when these cameras started to be made, so they centered the firmware around one particular browser and they got lazy and never updated the internals of the program to play nice with other browsers as more became available and IE started to fade.

Back when the firmware was written, it was probably a pain to get it to play nice with every different browser, so they went with the most popular one.

They haven't had a need to address this because their intended market (hint it isn't us) is mainly businesses where they have enough light they can stay in default settings so they don't have a need to login to the camera via browser. It is us homeowners that push these to the limits and actually change settings.

So we either deal with outdated browsers but better cameras or go with crap consumer grade cameras that use fancy apps and modern browsers but horrible images.

Keep in mind that even the newest cameras using the new WebGUI 5.0 that is supposed to be compatible with other browsers, a look under the hood of the firmware shows that even it still works best with Explorer, so I wouldn't hold my breath on Dahua providing a firmware update to the thermal that won't need the plug-in.

carteriii

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I was not planning to, mostly because IVS works so well with the thermal and I personally don't need to distinguish between a human or a vehicle or an animal. Also my situation is such that I have the thermal camera triggering at night with tripwires at a distance such that a human might only be 3px wide and 10px tall, which is so small that even the best object detection will struggle. If the need for training on thermal images is needed, I'll gladly contribute, but right now I don't personally need it.

For what it's worth, I believe object detection was, at least initially, an evolution to simply reduce false alerts from clouds, or other shadows, or wind blowing trees & bushes. At night, visual "motion detection" struggles even more because it depends only upon detecting different shades of gray, which also makes object recognition more difficult. By contrast (pun intended), a thermal camera almost completely eliminates the majority of false alerts due to clouds, rain, wind, trees, bushes, etc. Similarly a person wearing a gray shirt against a gray background at night is also clearly visible on a thermal camera. Both technologies (thermal & object recognition) have their place. I do have more than one of those focused infrared illuminators that shines out to 100m without a problem, and I use that with a strong zoom camera for one situation, and the thermal camera is just a different use-case for me.

alecz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do any of the new versions support playback from NAS or still only SD card?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
SWEET - we are always looking for new toys and replacements to older cameras!

MrRobinHood

Getting comfortable
Reaction score