24/7 recording on external HD

sonic

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey
I have an ip camera Sinocam

Since I had big problems with their bundled software I now use Genius Vision NVR software
I have the camera using an Ethernet cable connected to my router .
I have also attached an external HD on my router that serves as storage via ftp service .
Everything works fine but only when I have my PC ( which therefore Genius Vision NVR software is installed )

What should I use to make my record ip camera 24/7 on my external HD ?

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
External hard drives are not built for the write load that an ip camera system puts on them. You will kill it quickly like that. Invest in small NVR with a decent hard drive like a WD Purple or an enterprise drive designed to be written to 24/7. You wont need to use your PC then.

sonic

n3wb
Reaction score
It is a samsung M2 750GB, only ssd are faster so thats not the point

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
um no, its USB 2.0.. so that means just about everything is faster than that... its one of the slowest disks you can actually still buy, my WD Purple can write on average about 5x faster than you ever will see... my SSD like 10x faster.

USB 2.0 Realworld Max Speed: 35-40MB/s
WD Purple Real Sata Speeds: 160-180MB/s
Most SSD's: 250MB/s-800MB/s

recording 24/7 via USB 2.0 is a fairly bad idea.. it was not designed for continuous data loads and its shared bandwidth, so if you also have USB anything else the speeds just went down.

a camera cant record to a HDD without a computer in-between, so just keep it how you got it.

Last edited by a moderator:

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It is a samsung M2 750GB, only ssd are faster so thats not the point
Sorry I wasnt clear. It isn't about the speed of the hard drive, it is about the workload they are designed for. A portable hard drive is designed as a backup device. You plug it in, write your data to it occasionally, read from it periodically, and most of the time it sits there doing nothing. It has plenty of time to cool down between activity. The hard drives in them are designed for that.

When you hook an IP camera up to one and record 24/7 to it you are now writing to it constantly, it never has time to rest, and it gets very hot. You might get lucky and find one that will take that abuse for an extended period of time, but it is more likely that the drive will fail and you will lose everything, and murphy's law says that will happen when you need it most. If you use a drive designed for that purpose you reduce the risk of that happening. If you go with a RAID setup you almost eliminate it.

I know you probably didnt want to spend any more money, especially if you bought the external drive specifically for this purpose. A small 4 channel NVR will let you record 24/7 and give you some more reliability. They start around US$50 plus the cost of the hard drive.

I'm not familiar with the brand, hence I dont know if the camera will upload to ftp natively. You may or may not have an option in the firmware. Have a bit of a poke around in the camera settings and see how you go. Still the setup isn't optimal and I wouldn't be happy with it but that is a decision for yourself.

sonic

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, tx for the replay
For the HD, i have it set on motion detection so its sends now only snapshots by FTP to my HD
I find it rare that it stops as soon i turn my pc off ( where the main program Genius Vision NVR is installed) and it dont continues

I have a idea: what if I install the Genius Vision NVR on my external HD?
Its 24/7 online so then it should record 24/7 ????
Is that possible?

Last edited by a moderator:

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ok, tx for the replay
For the HD, i have it set on motion detection so its sends now only snapshots by FTP to my HD
I find it rare that it stops as soon i turn my pc off ( where the main program Genius Vision NVR is installed) and it dont continues

I have a idea: what if I install the Genius Vision NVR on my external HD?
Its 24/7 online so then it should record 24/7 ????
Is that possible?
The program still needs a processor to run it. Most routers run Linux. Some of them have enough processing grunt to run additional programs like a radius server or similar. If you have a router that is good enough, and only ever want to run a single camera, are comfortable with or willing to learn command line Linux, you might be able to run something like zoneminder so the router is doing the work.

If would be an interesting project if you have or are willing to learn the skills required and your equipment is already up to snuff. If you do that start a thread with how you did it and how it worked for you.

It would be simpler to get the camera to FTP straight to the drive without an intermediary if it has the capability. Have a look through the cameras set up screens for something like this:

FTP Settings.jpg

If you camera doesn't have the FTP capability you need to have something running 24/7 to do the work for you. The simplest way of doing that is to buy an NVR.

sonic

n3wb
Reaction score
Tx, I'm gonna try that out and start a thread if it succeed and how it worked for me

sonic

n3wb
Reaction score
It's inpossible to make it working on a usb hd connected to the router
I have bought a NAS from Synology and now its al set and done :D