24 IP Camera 8MP Duhua

Reaction score
I'm looking to put in a 24 IP 8MP Duhua camera system using Blue Iris. I'm hoping to get some advice on what to purchase for hardware. I've installed multiple 20+ systems with 3MP cameras and used the i7-5960X, but I feel the 8MP cameras are going to require more horsepower. Has anyone used Dual Xeon's and blue iris together in the past?

What I had in mind.

Dual Xeon E5-2650 (10 Core Processor)
64GB of DDR4 ECC RAM
4x4TB HGST in Raid 0+1 For speed / redundancy.
256GB SSD for OS

I'm not sure on the video card, is there a large benefit from using a dedicated graphics card, and does a better graphics card work better with Blue Iris

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'll also post results on how well the system runs after it's up and running.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I believe that it's Dahua...not Duhua...and would you please provide a link to their 8MP cameras which you plan to install?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I would wait until hardware acceleration is added to BI (hopefully soon) before making a determination about the system.

Reaction score
Yes, you're right it's Dahua. The cameras are http://www.securitycameraking.com/8mp-ip-network-4k-ir-60493-prd1.html. I purchased one for testing purposes, and noticed it's quite CPU intensive. Unfortunately I cannot wait, as I'm doing the install next weekend. When I have done the 24 camera systems prior using the 3MP cameras, the Extreme i7 runs about 50-60% during load, with occasional peaks near 100%. Upping the resolution leads me to believe that this is going to be an issue with 8MP cameras.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm looking to put in a 24 IP 8MP Duhua camera system using Blue Iris. I'm hoping to get some advice on what to purchase for hardware. I've installed multiple 20+ systems with 3MP cameras and used the i7-5960X, but I feel the 8MP cameras are going to require more horsepower. Has anyone used Dual Xeon's and blue iris together in the past?

What I had in mind.

Dual Xeon E5-2650 (10 Core Processor)
64GB of DDR4 ECC RAM
4x4TB HGST in Raid 0+1 For speed / redundancy.
256GB SSD for OS

I'm not sure on the video card, is there a large benefit from using a dedicated graphics card, and does a better graphics card work better with Blue Iris

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'll also post results on how well the system runs after it's up and running.
I trust you mean Xeon E5-2650 v3. There is a huge difference between that and what you actually said. I guess the v2 and original are 8 core, only the v3 is 10 core. So I'm sure that is what you meant.

I'm sure you can pull it off, using direct to disk of course. Those cams are limited to 7 FPS at full resolution, so in theory they would not be actually much more load than a 2MP cam at 30 FPS.

I am very curious what your results are. I'll never be able to afford such a system for myself so I find this fascinating :)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Doing a little math, 24 cams at 8 megapixels each and 7 FPS is about 1.344 billion pixels per second. :nuts:

My i7-3770k system runs about 60 megapixels at average 5 FPS (about 300 million pixels per second) with about 35% CPU usage in service mode with nobody watching.

Your Xeon CPUs have a passmark score of 15000 each. With two you can assume it will be closer to 30000. My CPU scores about 9500, a little less than 1/3 the theoretical speed. Your camera load is close to 4.5 times what mine is. 4.5 times my 35% would be 156%. But your CPUs are supposed to be about 300% of mine. By this very questionable math, I would expect about a 50-55% CPU load on your new server with all these cameras.

Of course nothing is that simple in practice. There could be other bottlenecks or concerns. And once BI has hardware acceleration, I might be able to pull off the same load on my own system. Who knows. Interesting times.

Reaction score
Yes, I did mean the Xeon E5-2650 v3. The 8MP camera will actually do 15fps at full resolution, it's pretty amazing. I wouldn't ever be able to afford a system like this myself either, however businesses seem to have a need for very high resolution cameras and don't have an issue with the price.

Does anyone have a suggestion on a specific video card? I emailed the developer for Blue Iris and he just said, "an Nvidia card"