256GB SD Card: It Works

SteveN1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just an FYI. I bought a 256GB card before I bought the camera, and asked here if anyone knew if it would work. Most responses were a big vague, indicating 128GB is the only one that would work.

I decided to throw in the 256GB anyway, and it seems just fine. This is a new model camera (I suppose), that arrived last week.

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
To be clear, the issue is not whether it will work at all but whether it will work reliably over time. I am not saying it will not but there has definitely been a high rate of reported problems over the last few years across various camera manufacturers.

SteveN1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ah, I see.

So what card(s) are recommended in these cameras for hi-res recording?

carteriii

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'll start by saying you'll get a lot of people saying that a lot of cards "work great", but if you record to your card 24x7 (not just recording motion/IVS events) then you really should get one of the "endurance" lines which should last longer, have a greater warranty, etc. I believe Samsung Pro Endurance cards are generally the best for this, though almost none of the brands have had their endurance lines in the market for enough time for any of us to really see significant success or failure to live up to the promise of longevity.

The key point here is any card may "work great", but will it last 5 years continuously writing HD or 4k video? I've personally decided it's worth a few extra dollars now to go with the Samsung Pro Endurance, if for no other reason than I don't want to have to take down turret cameras from awkward locations and open them up to change a card. I view it like buying insurance. If your cameras are easily accessible, then you could try a less expensive card and see how it goes. There is an argument that some cards may be half the price (or less) so if a cheaper card lasts reasonably well, it may be the right choice for some people if you're willing to take down/apart your camera to replace the card.

For what it's worth, I'm intrigued by your post here that a 256GB card works, but Samsung doesn't offer that size in their Pro Endurance line while SanDisk does offer 256GB in their "High Endurance" line. I may try one of those in a 4k camera but I probably won't be able to say anything definitive about it for a few years.

Also beware really cheap offers for cards on eBay that have been found to be fakes.

Last edited: