2CD2387G2-LSU/LU Tear down and refocus (with pictures)

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I’m not too worried about size but more so weight as I plan to hang under vinyl soffit (certainteed) and not directly screwed to wood supports but rely on the f channel support/ j channel and nails holding that up. Seems the hikvision is at 2lbs but dahua lists two weights net and gross but it’s unclear what these mean as there’s also a packaging weight that differs on most sites from the gross amount. Maybe Andy could chime in on this as a retailer?
You want a 4K-T or a 180 degree cams? 180 degree cams have 2 way audio. IPC-Color4K-T180

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
If want the full color camera the 4KT is a very good choice. Deterrence has its limit, sometimes not activate if no good light at the place, so that is why dahua use on some blue and red warnning cams with dual light, one IR one Full color. We try to get the deterrence on the 4kt, they evalue it but lastly drop it.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
I’m not too worried about size but more so weight as I plan to hang under vinyl soffit (certainteed) and not directly screwed to wood supports but rely on the f channel support/ j channel and nails holding that up. Seems the hikvision is at 2lbs but dahua lists two weights net and gross but it’s unclear what these mean as there’s also a packaging weight that differs on most sites from the gross amount. Maybe Andy could chime in on this as a retailer?
Gross is the weight of the camera and packaging. Net is the weight of just the camera.

If it was my camera, I'd prefer it screwed directly to wood that in turn is firmly attached to the frame of the house.

IAmWatchingYou!

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Overall I liked the Hikvision MUCH better, even though I ended up returning it. Deterrence works, and the 2-way audio is important. The audio (from the microphone) is pretty bad on the Dahua 4k-T (even worse on the 4k-X). The mic was also worlds better on the Hik, and the speaker was decent. Hikvision releases firmware updates for bug fixes and new features (sometimes) frequently, and has a shared software base for their cameras by camera generation. The compression and resulting picture quality was also MUCH better from the Hikvision.
The only reason I stuck with the Dahua cams is because I needed the onboard AI to record on human / vehicle in the out-of-bounds area without a push alert, and record on human / vehicle when in-bounds with a push alert. The design flaw in the Hikvision motion detection made this impossible.
Going forward, I'll be using Blue Iris with the Hikvision 2CD2387G2-LSU/LU cameras. I'll have the Blue Iris do its crappy human/vehicle detection based recording in the out of bounds area (which should be good enough), and rely on Hikvision Smart Events for the push notifications for the in-bounds areas, and have each Hik camera added a second time in Blue Iris with ONVIF camera based human/vehicle triggering recording for the in-bounds area.

@Bradyboyy88 - at a second property, I will be adding the 2CD2387G2-LSU/LU cameras, and am planning on the soffit mount as well.

Bradyboyy88

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Gross is the weight of the camera and packaging. Net is the weight of just the camera.

If it was my camera, I'd prefer it screwed directly to wood that in turn is firmly attached to the frame of the house.
My roof pitch is too low so trying to go from attic to add a board would result in my head probably hitting a roofing nail and I don’t want to bend il my angled aluminum on the fascia board. I was thinking the vinyl soffit is pretty thick these days and the f channel is unbreakable by hand also. Then it’s budded against j channel for even more support on the house side and the fascia side has nails then also bent aluminum holding that side too. Just seemed like a safe bet with some hangers myself. If it broke free there’s still a Ethernet cable to catch its fall if you atleast mail the wire close by to a stud similar to Romex cable. Does no one else do this? 2lbs didn’t seem like much weight but maybe I am underestimating wind and weight forces on a turret?

Bradyboyy88

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If want the full color camera the 4KT is a very good choice. Deterrence has its limit, sometimes not activate if no good light at the place, so that is why dahua use on some blue and red warnning cams with dual light, one IR one Full color. We try to get the deterrence on the 4kt, they evalue it but lastly drop it.
i actually already bought the hikvision but I’m tempted to buy one of the dahua as well to try out the 4kt. Any harm in mixing brands between hikvision and dahua? Does hik connect play well with dahua cams and dahua software with hikvision? Ultimately planning on a better solution such as a NAS or nvr but haven’t decided yet.

Last edited:

Bradyboyy88

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Overall I liked the Hikvision MUCH better, even though I ended up returning it. Deterrence works, and the 2-way audio is important. The audio (from the microphone) is pretty bad on the Dahua 4k-T (even worse on the 4k-X). The mic was also worlds better on the Hik, and the speaker was decent. Hikvision releases firmware updates for bug fixes and new features (sometimes) frequently, and has a shared software base for their cameras by camera generation. The compression and resulting picture quality was also MUCH better from the Hikvision.
The only reason I stuck with the Dahua cams is because I needed the onboard AI to record on human / vehicle in the out-of-bounds area without a push alert, and record on human / vehicle when in-bounds with a push alert. The design flaw in the Hikvision motion detection made this impossible.
Going forward, I'll be using Blue Iris with the Hikvision 2CD2387G2-LSU/LU cameras. I'll have the Blue Iris do its crappy human/vehicle detection based recording in the out of bounds area (which should be good enough), and rely on Hikvision Smart Events for the push notifications for the in-bounds areas, and have each Hik camera added a second time in Blue Iris with ONVIF camera based human/vehicle triggering recording for the in-bounds area.

@Bradyboyy88 - at a second property, I will be adding the 2CD2387G2-LSU/LU cameras, and am planning on the soffit mount as well.
Do you plan on using metal expansion anchors for the soffit mount?

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
My roof pitch is too low so trying to go from attic to add a board would result in my head probably hitting a roofing nail and I don’t want to bend il my angled aluminum on the fascia board. I was thinking the vinyl soffit is pretty thick these days and the f channel is unbreakable by hand also. Then it’s budded against j channel for even more support on the house side and the fascia side has nails then also bent aluminum holding that side too. Just seemed like a safe bet with some hangers myself. If it broke free there’s still a Ethernet cable to catch its fall if you atleast mail the wire close by to a stud similar to Romex cable. Does no one else do this? 2lbs didn’t seem like much weight but maybe I am underestimating wind and weight forces on a turret?
That sounds pretty secure. I was thinking a thin aluminium soffit but the plastic should be more secure. Instead of relying on the ethernet cable to support the camera in case it falls, maybe see if you can get a wire around some part of the camera's bracket and secure the other end to something. If you make it shorter than the ethernet cable, you won't have to worry about straining the ethernet cable or the connectors.

I live in a hurricane prone area and I'm less than a mile from the sea. This past October, we had a hurricane pass by us about 100 miles to the west. My Colour4K/X bullet is fully exposed and it weebled and wobbled but did not come down. It's secured to a largish junction box, about 4" x 6" which is then secured to the parged brick wall with 4 good-sized screws. Nothing was affected negatively.

Bradyboyy88

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That sounds pretty secure. I was thinking a thin aluminium soffit but the plastic should be more secure. Instead of relying on the ethernet cable to support the camera in case it falls, maybe see if you can get a wire around some part of the camera's bracket and secure the other end to something. If you make it shorter than the ethernet cable, you won't have to worry about straining the ethernet cable or the connectors.

I live in a hurricane prone area and I'm less than a mile from the sea. This past October, we had a hurricane pass by us about 100 miles to the west. My Colour4K/X bullet is fully exposed and it weebled and wobbled but did not come down. It's secured to a largish junction box, about 4" x 6" which is then secured to the parged brick wall with 4 good-sized screws. Nothing was affected negatively.
The wire is a great idea and I will probably do just that. I am in Maryland so we don’t get to many hurricanes but it is better than relying on the rj45 connection lol.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
The wire is a great idea and I will probably do just that. I am in Maryland so we don’t get to many hurricanes but it is better than relying on the rj45 connection lol.
Yeah, even a decent wind would get a hanging camera swinging pretty good. And depending how far the ethernet cable allows the camera to fall, it could do some damage to the connectors or even break loose and fall.

Bradyboyy88

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah, even a decent wind would get a hanging camera swinging pretty good. And depending how far the ethernet cable allows the camera to fall, it could do some damage to the connectors or even break loose and fall.
yea my old dome cameras never had an issue but they probably had better aerodynamics then a turret. If I have any sag in my soffit maybe il suck it up and dirty myself in attic insulation to try and add some bracing. Il report back on how well the vinyl soffit holds.

Bradyboyy88

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey so Ive installed my hik cameras and they have been working good but I have to admit the size of them is pretty large and not very aesthetic even when ceiling mounted from soffit in the corners. Was the color4k-t noticeably smaller? From the specs it looks like maybe an inch difference which doesn’t feel like much but is 20 percent smaller.

Arn0

n3wb
Reaction score
How do you manage to do that ? Part of the configuration is made on the camera itself, and the other one on the DVR? I'm still wondering which one (Dahua VS Hik) I'll buy, and it's a huge challenge. Both do the one key disarming (that I need), and I even believe (based on videos..) that Hikvision is more flexible on this exercise. (see attachment - you can simply "disarm" push notification, for example-).
Thanks in advance for your feedback

Attachments