3990X & Blueirs thoughts ?

reflection

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do you have a 49" curved monitor? That's a nice wide view! I put three monitors to get a similar effect :). LOL

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you have a 49" curved monitor? That's a nice wide view! I put three monitors to get a similar effect :). LOL
Yes, it is the Samsung 49in CRG9. I am thinking of picking one more up to mount up and down..

reflection

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, it is the Samsung 49in CRG9. I am thinking of picking one more up to mount up and down..

That would be really sweet. I know someone who has dual Dell 49" on his desk (side-by-side).

My setup is Dell curved 34" in the center (U3419W), and two Dell 27" on the sides (P2719DC & U2718Q). All bought at different times. Effective resolution is 8560x1440.

Staff Curtis

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've been running blue iris the last few years with various hardware (CPU and or NVDEC cards). A high end intel setup works well for most people, but I have about 20 cameras running high resolution that performance was paramount. My last setup was dual xeon E5-2650v2 CPU's running on ESXI 5.5 and windows 10. This barely got the job done, but it did work for my needs. Running H265 was out of the question. I have been testing tons of hardware looking for improvement. Almost every i7 and i9 variant and last years 2990wx threadripper which was a huge disappointment. The 3950x also did not perform as well. You would think an i9-9900k with quick sync would outdo the xeons, but no dice (xeon CPU's don't even have quick sync). Well my xeon system crashed, so I decided to try the new AMD 3970x with ESXI 6.7. I bought a used motherboard on ebay and half the ram slots didn't work so I couldn't run quad channel (go figure). I was already prepared for a performance let down; but I was totally wrong..

The AMD 3970x is AWESOME!! Even being limited to dual channel, this setup smoked my dual xeon server. I want to fully test it when I have another card game at my home (will be awhile thanks to covid). There are probably 8 cameras that will have people moving around which can really tax the CPU. Running at H265, it's more fluid than my dual xeon system at H264! I will probably stick with H264 because it's very CPU taxing and I want to add more cameras. If you have fewer than 10 cameras running less than 15fps and under 4k resolution, you won't need this much CPU. If you are looking for the ultimate Blue Iris hardware that won't drop frames, and run the best quality, then this is it.

Last edited:

mrc545

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
substreams changed the game and you don't need much horsepower.
As a 3970x owner who just got substreams configured, I can unfortunately vouch to this. Kind of a waste of a build now.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, You be fine sticking with intel proc. This was the build I am using it for other projects But on top of everything else it can also run BI for me which is nice however since I have bought a dedicated system for BI with intel proc which is running fine. I may thought push it to its limit with my cam load if that happens Either I will get another PC which can do BI load dedicated or temp I can always run on this 64 core beast as temp .. if needed.

1612596332566.png

prsmith777

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've been running blue iris the last few years with various hardware (CPU and or NVDEC cards). A high end intel setup works well for most people, but I have about 20 cameras running high resolution that performance was paramount. My last setup was dual xeon E5-2650v2 CPU's running on ESXI 5.5 and windows 10. This barely got the job done, but it did work for my needs. Running H265 was out of the question. I have been testing tons of hardware looking for improvement. Almost every i7 and i9 variant and last years 2990wx threadripper which was a huge disappointment. The 3950x also did not perform as well. You would think an i9-9900k with quick sync would outdo the xeons, but no dice (xeon CPU's don't even have quick sync). Well my xeon system crashed, so I decided to try the new AMD 3970x with ESXI 6.7. I bought a used motherboard on ebay and half the ram slots didn't work so I couldn't run quad channel (go figure). I was already prepared for a performance let down; but I was totally wrong..

The AMD 3970x is AWESOME!! Even being limited to dual channel, this setup smoked my dual xeon server. I want to fully test it when I have another card game at my home (will be awhile thanks to covid). There are probably 8 cameras that will have people moving around which can really tax the CPU. Running at H265, it's more fluid than my dual xeon system at H264! I will probably stick with H264 because it's very CPU taxing and I want to add more cameras. If you have fewer than 10 cameras running less than 15fps and under 4k resolution, you won't need this much CPU. If you are looking for the ultimate Blue Iris hardware that won't drop frames, and run the best quality, then this is it.
I've been thinking about doing a 5950x build. After reading that you thought the 3950x was disappointing, I'm not so sure now. I hadn't planned on doing VM, so wonder if that is a factor.

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a 3900x in unraid running blue iris in a virtualized windows 10 with 18 cameras, with over a dozen docker containers for plex, email, blog, etc, and a ethereum miner without any issues 1612622166907.png

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 3900x in unraid running blue iris in a virtualized windows 10 with 18 cameras, with over a dozen docker containers for plex, email, blog, etc, and a ethereum miner without any issues
You assigned all the cores (physical and virtual) to your Windows VM?

I don't know how it works with KVM, but with vmware esxi, I think a VM is not scheduled to run until all of the vCPUs assigned to it are free to run tasks. If KVM works the same way, then any other single-core VM (or docker) with a heavy CPU load would cause an incredible amount of performance degradation for your 24-vCPU VM. If you never need more than, say, 6 vCPUs on that machine, then you'd be better off assigning it 6 vCPUs. Anyway, just something to keep in mind if you see performance problems later.

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
ya i haven't bothered to assign cores because bulk of the plex load is given to the GPU. when i went amd i was afraid not having intel quicksync would be a deal breaker was all i meant :)

adamg

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Any of the Threadripper builds in here using ECC RAM?