3x3 Composite Recording

TheOtherMike

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a 3x3 panel setup in Synology's Monitor Center.
I would like to create a composite video of an event using the 3x3 layout, for example tracking something moving from one camera view to another.
Although I can create little snippet videos of each camera individually, I cannot find an option to do a multi-camera recording in Synology SW. Is it possible?

Is it possible (easy) with other SW? I suppose I could struggle with some ffmpeg contortion, but I'd rather not.
Maybe playback the event and do a screen recording? (Seems crude)
Surely I am not the first to want this.

TheOtherMike

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Decided to try ffmpeg and it was pretty easy. I just had to find the correct offset to grab an entire 2nd monitor's area which is above and slightly to the left of my main display:

ffmpeg -f gdigrab -framerate 15 -offset_x -792 -offset_y -1440 -video_size 2560x1440 -i desktop <output>.mp4

This seems like a feature Synology should offer. It might be a bit challenging to play the event and start/stop ffmpeg using a single monitor, and not to mention those w/o ffmpeg.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, your experience could help someone here. And if you're so inclined, you can suggest that feature to Synology, they have a mechanism in place! :cool:

Feature Inquiry "Let us know what you'd like to see implemented in our products by filling out this form. Due to a large number of messages, we may be unable to respond to each of you."

TheOtherMike

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm actually glad I did it the way I did.

While screen recording with ffmpeg, I was able to select a camera w/subject to be full screen and digital zoom in on the subject.
Then prior to transitioning to another camera, I could zoom back out, go back to 3x3, see the transition, and then make the next camera full screen, etc.

I see an AI feature for this. This seems so basic, it must be an option in some system.

Would be great with multiple PTZs that already track.