3XLogic Dead System...

Reaction score
I have been asked to evaluate the possibility of reviving a 3xLogic system with a total of 38 cameras and 4 DVR's from circa 2011. This system has been dead for 5 years now, with the original installer out of business.

Most of the cameras are 2mp indoor domes with 2.8-11mm varifocal lenses. About 12 outdoor cameras are likely 2mp bullets . The camera model is VX-2MP-D-- which according to a few other posts were possibly made by Hikvision.

1698285911338.png 1698286142553.png

I found a spec sheet for a similar model, but have some doubts that it is the same unit. spec sheet is attached below.

I don't think the 3xLogic DVR's are usable at all. They each seem to have two 1-Tb Seagate drives in them. The 4 DVR's recorded camera feeds from each of 4 different sections of the building. The person I spoke to "thought" that it only recorded when motion was detected. Inside one of those rack-mounted boxes:

1698286300071.png 1698286263501.png
(Suppose DUST was an issue?? :) )

Inside:

1698286465159.png

Drives:

1698286624811.png

The "fix" only needs to work for about 2~3 years when an entirely new system is supposed to be installed concurrent with a new building. They know several (many?) of the installed cameras may be dead. They just need as many of these cameras working as possible to meet current surveillance needs.

I am hoping someone here has worked with these particular cameras and maybe integrated them into a BI system. Assuming IF these cameras adhere to ONVIF and can be recognized, would it be crazy to pursue setting up a BI box to handle ~40 cameras? I know someone here is running 60 cameras in BI. I think this could be made easier since there are only a few types of cameras installed. This could be nice little side-job for me, but all I know about 3xLogic is they sell REALLY EXPENSIVE stuff that seem way-overpriced.

Let me know what you think-- and whether or not this hardware is even workable/salvageable and can be integrated with a BI install.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
Edit--- this is a shot of the only part of the system interface that was viewable.... No video feeds could be pulled up, and this was opening in Edge. Imagine that.

1698290732738.png

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Know nothing about them but saw this in the specs:

HTTPS(SSL), IP filtering, 802.1x, Digest Authetication TCP/IP, UDP, AutoIP, RTP(UDP/TCP), RTSP, NTP, HTTP, HTTPS, SSL, DNS, DDNS, DHCP, FTP, SMTP, ICMP, SNMPv1/v2/v3(MIB-2), ONVIF CGI API, ONVIF (Profile S)

Have you tried to access one directly via browser?

Does look like HIkvision was OEM for that range of cams. Maybe try SADP to see what comes up.

A few threads here re 3xLogic cams if you search.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Know nothing about them but saw this in the specs:

HTTPS(SSL), IP filtering, 802.1x, Digest Authetication TCP/IP, UDP, AutoIP, RTP(UDP/TCP), RTSP, NTP, HTTP, HTTPS, SSL, DNS, DDNS, DHCP, FTP, SMTP, ICMP, SNMPv1/v2/v3(MIB-2), ONVIF CGI API, ONVIF (Profile S)

Have you tried to access one directly via browser?

Does look like HIkvision was OEM for that range of cams. Maybe try SADP to see what comes up.

A few threads here re 3xLogic cams if you search.
yes-- was reading some of those threads. One discusses those cameras specifically-- and they apparently are a bit of a pain to connect to and configure.. I didn't have time to dig around in that system today and try to connect directly to a camera-- don't even know the IP's of them. I did look up price on a current DVR from that company--- about $6,500. heh--- this organization will NOT put that kind of money into that old system-- they need a cheap solution to get as many of those old cams recording again until they invest in all new equipment as part of a new building.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, for $6500 they could/should replace the entire system with modern cameras and software/NVR.

I think the best route is to try to take a camera and see if you can reset it and connect to it directly (via a computer and the OG Internet Explorer web browser). If you can get connection to it, then I would try a trial version of BI and see if I could get the camera to connect to the software. Obviously success in this testing phase is proof of concept and I would move towards replacing the NVRs with a BI system(s). If you can't get one camera working, you probably should try some others just to rule of the possibility of the camera being dead.

EDIT - I just now looked at the supplied spec sheet of the cameras (although if the spec sheet you included isn't actually for the camera you have, then my following assumptions may be wrong too). I should have looked it it prior to making my initial post. After looking at it, I don't see any way that they are going to be compatible with BI. They are clearly not IP cameras and the network connection is for communication only (ie no video feeds). I was initially fooled by the picture of the camera that shows network plug and assumed it was IP capable. To make matters worse, it seems the HDMI output is potentially proprietary to the system. It looks like some sort of video over coaxial cable set up, but it likely requires a special balun/converter that is built into the NVR to work. I'm going to guess there is no way to get this system working without a working NVR to connect it to.

That being said, the camera clearly requires 12v power to turn it on (left most posts in the phoenix adapter). The original picture doesn't show any power being applied to the camera. Also, there is a green light on the motherboard, so it may still be good and just the drive has gone bad. I wonder if there is any software available to reinstall on a new drive?

Could you take a picture of whatever inputs the camera's plug into on the NVR? Is it in fact some sort of coaxial connection?
Looking at the motherboard, I believe it is this same one. ASUS P5G43T-M Pro LGA 775 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah, for $6500 they could/should replace the entire system with modern cameras and software/NVR.

I think the best route is to try to take a camera and see if you can reset it and connect to it directly (via a computer and the OG Internet Explorer web browser). If you can get connection to it, then I would try a trial version of BI and see if I could get the camera to connect to the software. Obviously success in this testing phase is proof of concept and I would move towards replacing the NVRs with a BI system(s). If you can't get one camera working, you probably should try some others just to rule of the possibility of the camera being dead.
Yes-- definite need to test. Part of the purpose of my post was to see if someone else attempted something similar with these and hit a wall with it.... no sense in me beating my head against the wall. :banghead:

The existing hardware--- I think there will be significant attrition with the cameras...but we will see.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes-- definite need to test. Part of the purpose of my post was to see if someone else attempted something similar with these and hit a wall with it.... no sense in me beating my head against the wall. :banghead:

The existing hardware--- I think there will be significant attrition with the cameras...but we will see.
Look at my edited post. I realize my original advice is not going to work after looking at the system closer - although if the spec sheet you included isn't actually for the camera you have, then my assumptions may be wrong.. You were not getting any video from that camera for example because the network connection is for communication only. The camera itself outputs video via an HDMI connection. Looking at the picture of the camera you have in the OP, it seems to be some sort of video over coax cable setup.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Look at my edited post. I realize my original advice is not going to work after looking at the system closer - although if the spec sheet you included isn't actually for the camera you have, then my assumptions may be wrong.. You were not getting any video from that camera for example because the network connection is for communication only. The camera itself outputs video via an HDMI connection. Looking at the picture of the camera you have in the OP, it seems to be some sort of video over coax cable setup.
They are all POE IP cameras-- and the DVR's are simply connected to the network.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Last edited: