4/5 camera system recommendations

TVRV8S

n3wb
Reaction score
Here in the UK, we have a small, 3 bed corner house of brick with a large back garden, in a 1940s estate. I am fairly handy with tools and have a technical background.

I am toying with installing a 4/5 camera POE system with NVR, but I am very confused by the enormous choice, the patchy availability in the UK, the lack of price information online and complicated naming of the cameras out there - especially Dahua.

Please could you help me identify options to consider?

----

CURRENT SETUP

We have 2 x Logitech Circle 2 cameras - one at the top of the stairs and another looking over the garden. One of the Circles is now inoperable thanks to the endemic WIFI module failure, and the other is likely to fail in the future. We have a security light outside, and motion sensor lightbulbs at the top and bottom of the stairs.

We like the Circle 2 because:
  • very wide angle view (180 degree)
  • ease of watching back footage on our phones from anywhere
  • ease of saving clips

Our dislikes are:
  • poor image quality, particularly at night
  • feeble IR - slow shutter speeds at night
  • slow switching to and from daylight and IR
  • they are discontinued
  • subscription cost
  • dependent on Wifi signal
We find the Circle 2 takes a frustrating 3-5 seconds to detect and adjust from daylight to IR and vice versa. If a security light turns on, an intruder is "whited-out" for most of that time while the camera adjusts. They could go up the stairs and into a room, or walk across the garden and in the back door, without being properly seen.

I tried a Reolink 4 camera system from Amazon a few years ago (priced about £400) and was not impressed with the image quality so sent it back.

----

AREAS

The areas I want to cover are:

FIRST PHASE
  • Top of stairs - 90 degree FOV to cover the stairs and the whole of the landing
  • Garden - ideally 180 degree overview
  • Front of house - 45 degree to cover looking over front garden, front door and out into road where car is parked
SECOND PHASE
  • Back door in garden - 30 degree for identification
  • Side of house - 90 degree to cover bins, path and side gate

----

REQUIREMENTS

I am looking for:
  • good balance of high quality daylight footage and non-blurry night footage
  • POE
  • quick switching between daylight and IR
  • 1080p/4K - I'd rather have bigger sensor and better overall performance than pay for higher resolution
  • person detection
  • NVR with easy finding of important footage (people) accessible via phone
  • spend under 1000 GBP for first 3 camera system
  • equipment I can find or have delivered to the UK

I am open to putting up LED IR floodlights to increase shutter speeds at night - if I understand this correctly!

I would prefer the stairs camera to not be too obtrusive. I don't want a massive Big Brother eyeball staring down at the kids. More importantly though, as the only internal camera, it is important that this one is high quality and adjusts quickly.

Thanks for your time.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Wide angle lenses, broad sweeping views, will not provide identification. Don't try to do too much with one camera. There is no "system" that does it all. Each system is built specifically to match the installation conditions and requirements for each camera.

Quick guide -

The smaller the lux number the better the low light performance. 0.002 is better than 0.02
The smaller the "F" of the lens the better the low light performance. F1.4 is better than F1.8
The larger the sensor the better the low light performance. 1/1.8" is better (bigger) than 1/2.7"
The higher the megapixels for the same size sensor the worse the low light performance. A 4MP camera with a 1/1.8" sensor will perform better than a 8MP camera with that same 1/1.8" sensor.

1/3" = .333" Great for 720P
1/2.8" = .357" (think a .38 caliber bullet) Great for 2MP
1/1.8" = .555" (bigger than a .50 caliber bullet or ball) Great for 4MP
1/1.2" = .833" (bigger than a 20mm chain gun round) Great for 8MP

Don't believe all the marketing hype no matter who makes the camera. Don't believe those nice night time captures they all use. Look for videos, with motion, to determine low light performance.

Read the reviews here, most include both still shots and video.

Rule of thumb, the shutter speed needs to be at 1.60 or higher to get night video without blurring.

8MP Review

Dual Lens

5442 Reviews

2231 Reviews

3241T-ZAS Review

These charts are approximations and distances will vary from camera/lens/sensor size combinations but do provide a reasonable estimate.

dori.png

lens sizes.JPG

The smart way to select cameras and determine the lens size required is to get one good varifocal camera, such as the 5442-ZE or 3241-ZAS, and use a test rig to test each proposed location during both day and night with an emphasis on night testing. Walk around like you're the bad guy, hoodie or cap on, and see if you can actually identify yourself an not just from knowing it is you, well enough that the police would be able to positively identify you.