4-k T turret cam and license plate reading at night!

Gius

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello to all the friends of this wonderful site! I purchased a 4k-t turret cam, during the day I read the license plates perfectly; while at night, unfortunately, despite having manually set the parameters: shutter (1-9), gain (0-50), range 40 and nr 35 -35. I set the LED illuminators to 90% and with the HLC function activated I have a reflection of the light on the license plate which does not allow reading! What could I try, if possible. Thank you

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Not an ideal camera for LPR.

Without IR you’ll have to try and dim the brightness and still read the plate. Not an easy task. I’d start with lowering Gain and a faster exposure/shutter.

Try 0-4 on the shutter, maybe 30 on Gain.

Show us a night pic.

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Back of napkin calculations....

Z4-S3 is proven very good camera for LPC, but even so is at its limit about 80 feet for just readable captures.

Assuming you got the 3.6 mm lens version of the Color-4KT, its angle coverage is about double that of zoomed out Z4-SE
To factor in field of view difference, divide max range by two

The increase in resolution from 4MP to 8MP is only 1.43X more horizontal resolution
To factor in increased sensor resolution, multiply by 1.43

80 feet / 2 * 1.43 = 57 feet

Assuming the sensor and lighting system of the Color4KT is as good as that on Z4-S3 for LPC, that would mean 57 feet from camera would be absolute max distance to usable license capture.

It is unlikely that the Color4KT has lighting and sensor system as well adaptable for LPC so I would derate that estimate by maybe 30%

0.7 * 57 feet = 40 feet

Clean captures are about 1/2 to 3/4 of that distance based on what I have experienced doing LPC.
That makes the good LPC range for the 3.6 mm lens Color4KT between 20 to 40 feet from camera.

My rough estimate for ideal and max distance from the Colror4KT a license plate can be for good capture 20 to 40 feet away from camera.
Those are not a lot of working distance.

You can see why this might not as great a choice for LPC work. Night time LPC is even tougher to achieve.

Gius

n3wb
Reaction score
Back of napkin calculations....

Z4-S3 is proven very good camera for LPC, but even so is at its limit about 80 feet for just readable captures.

Assuming you got the 3.6 mm lens version of the Color-4KT, its angle coverage is about double that of zoomed out Z4-SE
To factor in field of view difference, divide max range by two

The increase in resolution from 4MP to 8MP is only 1.43X more horizontal resolution
To factor in increased sensor resolution, multiply by 1.43

80 feet / 2 * 1.43 = 57 feet

Assuming the sensor and lighting system of the Color4KT is as good as that on Z4-S3 for LPC, that would mean 57 feet from camera would be absolute max distance to usable license capture.

It is unlikely that the Color4KT has lighting and sensor system as well adaptable for LPC so I would derate that estimate by maybe 30%

0.7 * 57 feet = 40 feet

Clean captures are about 1/2 to 3/4 of that distance based on what I have experienced doing LPC.
That makes the good LPC range for the 3.6 mm lens Color4KT between 20 to 40 feet from camera.

My rough estimate for ideal and max distance from the Colror4KT a license plate can be for good capture 20 to 40 feet away from camera.
Those are not a lot of working distance.

You can see why this might not as great a choice for LPC work. Night time LPC is even tougher to achieve.
Thank you for your kind reply. I understand it's a hardware limit at night!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you consider hardware the focal length LOL

As mentioned, post some images and we can tell you if it is possible with that camera or which one you need.