4 port Epoe switch installing that 17th camera on NVR5216-16P-4KS2 question

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a 4 port epoe switch, and a Dahua 16poe 4ks2 NVR. With my present set up, it looks like I'm going to have 1 more EPOE camera (if I buy the next one) than I have 16 channels. Namely, would have the 4 port epoe switch connected to my last available (the 16th) POE port on my NVR, with 2 EPOE cameras connected to the switch. Haven't tried it yet, but getting the feel that the NVR might not show the 17th camera. Am I wrong? Is there a way to monitor & record for that 17th camera hooked to the epoe switch?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 4 port epoe switch, and a Dahua 16poe 4ks2 NVR. With my present set up, it looks like I'm going to have 1 more EPOE camera (if I buy the next one) than I have 16 channels. Namely, would have the 4 port epoe switch connected to my last available (the 16th) POE port on my NVR, with 2 EPOE cameras connected to the switch. Haven't tried it yet, but getting the feel that the NVR might not show the 17th camera. Am I wrong? Is there a way to monitor & record for that 17th camera hooked to the epoe switch?
Your NVR supports 16 cameras. It doesn’t matter how you connect them you will not be able to add a 17.

mycoma

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Add a microsd memory card to your 17th camera if it has a slot for that. That way if you need to retrieve video from the 17th camera you can...

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Now will be the time to consider a Blue Iris setup. Otherwise, if you only have a 17th camera to add with no plans to add a dozen more, you may be able to get away by using a microSD card (though not always reliable) and stream through SmartPSS

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Your NVR supports 16 cameras. It doesn’t matter how you connect them you will not be able to add a 17.
Was afraid that would be the answer..might have to omit a camera in another area for now. Just for the woodline at the yard's edge. For the 2 cameras on the EPOE switch, I have the EPOE switch plugged directly into one POE port of the NVR. Reckon it won't show the 2 cameras on separate IP addresses within the NVR connected like that? I'm seeing configurations that show the EPOE going into a router, then the NVR. My router is 2 rooms away.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Every camera should have a reason why it was placed there to begin with. For the time being, you can add that 17th camera along with a microSD card and reassess after a few days :)

Was afraid that would be the answer..might have to omit a camera in another area for now. Just for the woodline at the yard's edge. For the 2 cameras on the EPOE switch, I have the EPOE switch plugged directly into one POE port of the NVR. Reckon it won't show the 2 cameras on separate IP addresses within the NVR connected like that? I'm seeing configurations that show the EPOE going into a router, then the NVR. My router is 2 rooms away.

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I got the EPOE switch working with the 2 cameras. Seems you have to plug one camera in, let it get to working, then plug the other camera in. Had to manually add the IP address of the 2nd camera on the NVR, but it started working. EPOE switch plugged into one of the NVR POE ports. Still have to stay under 16 port limit.