4208-P NVR, 4 4MP Ip cameras, 2Tb, Need more storage

Turboolds

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello i have an older 4208-p with 4 dahua 4mp ip cameras, set to highest resolution ,30fps, 2tb of storage. I am only getting about 4 days of recordings. Should i be getting more, i feel like it used to record much more, like 2 weeks. I checked the hd and both are functioning, but under the hd space it say 0/980gb for both, i guess its full but im overwriting the files. If i upgrade the harddrives, do i have to reconfigure everything, cameras, settings, network settings? Any help is appreciated thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The firmware on the NVR is on the motherboard, so replacing the drive will not result in needing to reconfigure everything.

However, keep in mind we are not making Hollywood movies, so 30FPS is overkill. Heck, even Hollywood movies are shot 24FPS, so we don't need more than that for our tablets and phone monitoring LOL.

Most here run 15FPS and that is more than adequate for surveillance video. You will double your storage time that way as well.

Turboolds

n3wb
Reaction score
The firmware on the NVR is on the motherboard, so replacing the drive will not result in needing to reconfigure everything.

However, keep in mind we are not making Hollywood movies, so 30FPS is overkill. Heck, even Hollywood movies are shot 24FPS, so we don't need more than that for our tablets and phone monitoring LOL.

Most here run 15FPS and that is more than adequate for surveillance video. You will double your storage time that way as well.
ok thanks for the help, will do,

Turboolds

n3wb
Reaction score
any reason why i would lose recording time?, possible hard drive crapping out?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It doesn't sound like you are losing recording time, you are simply filling the drive up quicker.

Maybe more motion than in the past or you changed or added cameras or increased bitrate, etc. Lot's of factors go into how long it will record for.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The amount of time stored will vary somewhat due to the amount of motion the cameras see. Static images will use less space than motion images. So, if you have a lot of windy days, back to back for example, you will "lose" some time. The true way to gauge it is by total bytes used on the drive, not by dates.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
4096 should be OK but it does depend on the camera involved. The 5442 seems to do better with 8192, double your rate. That also effects storage capacity because it makes for larger files.