4770k Heat / Fan RPM

x7b9a

n3wb
Reaction score
I had something strange happen today. Like others I tried to use the Intel hardware acceleration feature but ran into high CPU utilization, high temps and significantly increased CPU fan RPMs. (yes - I removed my discrete graphics card prior to attempting this).

So I put my Nividia GTX 750 back in, turned off the integrated video and was expecting to go back to the serene, quiet server I had prior to trying this. I was wrong. My temps continued to run in the 68c range with CPU fan RPMs over 3500 (quite loud for my system which is extremely quiet - Fractal Design R4). To get things back under control I reduced my six cameras frames per second to 15 from 30 (1080p) and drastically reduced the number of frames in the pre-record frame buffer (I had 100 which I realize may be high but the system handled it fine. It is now 10). My current CPU usage ranges anywhere from 20-30% but I'm surprised that my CPU temp is still in the 55-60cc range given the fact it is pretty cold in the room. I wanted to see if anyone else with a 4770k running at stock 3.50ghz could comment on what type of heat and rpms they are seeing. My plan is to dedicate this box to BlueIris but before I make that leap I'd like to make sure I don't need to get a new CPU fan. The higher temps in summer will push the cooling system harder.

Some other specs - 16gb RAM, Writing to SSD with plenty of space left. Writing as BVR in 8 hour continuous files.

Thanks

rmw85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Cooler isnt dirty? Homebuilt system? What thermal paste or might need some better stuff. Im not big on stock coolers (amd guy maybe intels are better) so aftermarket will be quieter and run much cooler.

x7b9a

n3wb
Reaction score
I will try dusting :) It is homebuilt with Intel stock cooler / paste. The thing is before I turned the integrated graphics on the CPU fan would ramp up but not in the manner it does now where it is constantly altering it's speed. It is that variability and it's associated noise that is kind of annoying. System has been running 24/7 for about 6 months now (even pre blueiris) and this phenomena seems to have started yesterday. BI is running at 16% currently ( I did further tweaking) and the fan is still very whiny, ramping up if I even open a browser and then spinning slower when I close it.

x7b9a

n3wb
Reaction score
As quickly as the ramp up appeared it is now gone. I suspect the original reason for it occurring was the switch to integrated graphics which demanded more of the CPU and thus the CPU Fan. I disabled it in bios but from my recollection it doesn't appear to have taken effect until after a second machine restart performed many hours later. My CPU fan is now running at around 1500rpm, my BlueIris is running at between 18-20% and the variable fan speed noise that I complained of is gone.

rmw85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good to hear. Strange it took a few reboots but atleast all is good again.