4k camera max view at one time

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
In the 4k world of cameras is any one able to view more than 4 cameras at once.
ivms maxes out on the 4 window view with me add the 5th camera and its spat the dummy.
just curious as how does someone at full resolution and frame rate view 4 plus cameras
at once?

RBW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ivms being used in the mobile network? If so you need to drop the resolution big time and reduce the frame rate.

For ivms 4500 on the 4G network I use a sub stream resolution of 704 x 506 @ 6fps for casual viewing. If I need to switch to main stream I make sure I am on Wi-fi.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
Ivms being used in the mobile network? If so you need to drop the resolution big time and reduce the frame rate.

For ivms 4500 on the 4G network I use a sub stream resolution of 704 x 506 @ 6fps for casual viewing. If I need to switch to main stream I make sure I am on Wi-fi.
sorry on the laptop ivms 4200
straight out of the nvr, i am wondering who is able to view more than 4 cameras at once at full resolution

Dreamboat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You have to turn off automatic switching to sub stream when vieweing more than 4 cameras: Tool -> System configuration -> Image ->Auto change stream type->Off.
And then cross fingers your laptop could bear the load of decoding 5 main streams on high resolution.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
You have to turn off automatic switching to sub stream when vieweing more than 4 cameras: Tool -> System configuration -> Image ->Auto change stream type->Off.
And then cross fingers your laptop could bear the load of decoding 5 main streams on high resolution.
laptop can bear it ok its an ausu rog gx700 64gb ram, its the hik nvr cant out put more than 4 cameras at once in 4k i would say

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
I will re phrase this question
what nvr out there can decode 12mp-8mp cameras in full resolution and have the window plane show all cameras at once whether its a 4 channel.8 channel 16 or 32 channel
even hiks new deep learning nvr can only decode at 1080p 20+48 channels.
basically getting a system full of 4k cameras is a waste. as you would never be able to utilize there full potential at once.
and would need to scroll through each channel one at a time.
I find the 4k camera maybe one in a system ok, but a waste of time and money if the whole system was 4k, when a good 2mp low light system would kill it hands down and work all cameras in live veiw

Dreamboat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm not sure I do understand your question well (my English is not so perfect). It sounds for me you ask a question, then you give an answer itself.
In my opinion 4K cameras also is a waste of money which gives not enough benefits compared to a FullHD lowlight cameras.
As for the NVR (I don't know which model you use) - there is no such parameter as decoding power over the network. The NVR has only outgoing bandwidth - it stops when this bandwidth is over (normaly between 80 and 160 Mbps).
The NVR itself does not decode any streams, decoding is done by the software side (iVMS4200). So I think if you have trouble decoding more than 5 4K cameras, probably the problem is in iVMS itself, the laptop or the netowork.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
It must be the soft ware side of things ? DS-7P08NI-K2/8P
Video/Audio Input
IP video input: | 8-ch
Two-way audio input: | 1-ch, RCA (2.0 Vp-p, 1kΩ)
Network
Incoming bandwidth: | 80Mbps
Outgoing bandwidth: | 160Mbps
Video/Audio Output
HDMI Output: | 1-ch, resolution: 4K(3840*2160)/60Hz, 4K(3840*2160)/30Hz, 1920*1080P/60Hz, 1600*1200/60Hz, 1280*1024/60Hz, 1280*720/60Hz, 1024*768/60Hz
Recording Resolution: | 8MP/6MP/5MP/4MP/3MP/1080p/UXGA/720p/VGA/4CIF/DCIF/2CIF/CIF/QCIF
VGA Output: | 1-ch, resolution: 1920*1080P/60Hz, 1280*1024/60Hz, 1280*720/60Hz, 1024*768/60Hz
Decoding
Live view / Playback: | 8MP/6MP/5MP/3MP/1080p/UXGA/720p/VGA/4CIF/DCIF/2CIF/CIF/QCIF
Capability: | 8-ch@1080P

Thats the nvr under test with 8 DS-2CD2385FWD-. hooked up to it and all switches are gigabit plugged directly into the laptop
under task manager cpu is 28% memory 8% network 2%. when in ivms memory icon is yellow showing 78% (64gb ram installed) network 2% cpu 28%
add the fifth camera window and ivms4200 spits the dummy and freezes up
but looking at the specs on this nvr and all other hikvision nvrs its saying decoding 8-ch@1080p and not 8-ch@8mp
i can flip through all eight cameras one at a time no problem open the 4 window plane things starts to get maxed out
open the 9 window plane and it locks up
H264 3648X2752 VIDEO QUALITY HIGH FRAME RATE 25FPS X 8 CAMERAS = 327.76MBPS
4 CAMERAS = 163.88 MBPS
2 CAMERAS= 81.94 MBPS
so i would say Outgoing bandwidth: | 160Mbps on the nvr and 4 DS-2CD2385FWD @163.88 MBPS has maxed out the nvr and 8 well not a chance of working
what i am saying why waste your money on a 4k 8 channel nvr when it cant be used at its maximum to monitor all 8 channels at once in 4k
there will be some people out there who would get a full 4k system only to find it wont work correctly at its maximum like a 8 channel 2mp 4mp 5mp camera set up

Last edited:

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The limitation on the NVR displaying multiple 4K streams is a function of the hardware's ability to decode that much data. Probably most hardware doesn't have the ability to do more than 3-4 cameras. You'd be hard-pressed even with a newer i7-7700 I'd wager. And who knows if the hikvision nvr software even attempts to use hardware decoding like blueiris does.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
The limitation on the NVR displaying multiple 4K streams is a function of the hardware's ability to decode that much data. Probably most hardware doesn't have the ability to do more than 3-4 cameras. You'd be hard-pressed even with a newer i7-7700 I'd wager. And who knows if the hikvision nvr software even attempts to use hardware decoding like blueiris does.
I am heading towards blue iris and give that a go. hikvisions ivms for windows is very limited.
handy but limited on capability's and control.as reading on what blue iris can actually do is immense.

RBW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Rather than use 4200 have you tried connecting to the Nvr browser? Also maybe reduce the frame rate to 10fps.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
Rather than use 4200 have you tried connecting to the Nvr browser? Also maybe reduce the frame rate to 10fps.
Hi RBW i just set up 8 cameras on a test rig to see if you could watch all 8 cameras at full maximum resolution and frame rates
you cant the whole point was, why waste money on a full 4k camera set up when you have to throttle them back to 1080p and reduce frames

best having one in the system and stay with lower mp cameras like a mixed bag of sweets :)

RBW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok interesting stuff.

I installed a 3mp Hik Turbo system yesterday. Playback is so slow and not in real-time. Live view is fine on sub stream. I’m thinking it’s is because the bitcrate was left as fixed and not variable. So many different options.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok interesting stuff.

I installed a 3mp Hik Turbo system yesterday. Playback is so slow and not in real-time. Live view is fine on sub stream. I’m thinking it’s is because the bitcrate was left as fixed and not variable. So many different options.
You have to look at your nvr incoming band width and what cameras you have on that nvr to adjust them to meet the capability of the nvr
Example a 4K camera at max resolution and frames per second let’s say is 16mbps and your nvr has incoming 80mbps on a 8 channel nvr.effectively you can only have 5 4K cameras recording at full capabilities there would be no room for the other 3 channels.
And to view all 5 at once we’ll thats another problem I will play with later.
If you have a mix of cameras use a bandwidth calculator by how many cameras you have it might give you an idea that to run all the cameras to meet the 80mbps
You might have to run all the cameras at 2mp and 18 FPS to be under the 80mbps.
Bit rate at fixed or variable, is when you set your maximum bit rate let’s say at 6400.when ticked to variable if the camera area is not busy it will throttle back and when something happens in front of the cameras it pulls up to the maximum bit rate you set.
If on constant it just uses 6400 all the time
Is your turbo system running to a screen to view?
If it’s viewed on your net work via a switch make sure everything is gigabyte.
And you have no bottle necks slowing you down.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
your on an analog bnc connection HD
I’m thinking the 10mbps is for its network connection
I have one of these on the bench but not yet used it
What I would do is start at 1080 for all three cameras
And set your frame rates at 15 if it has iframe rates match them at 15.
Then work up the resolution one at a time
Are you watching the system hooked up to a monitor out of the Dvr?

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
Fenderman has always said stop chasing high mp cameras he’s right there.
It’s impossible to record them all at once and there not that good at night
And what’s the point if you have to pull them back to a lower resolution to view and record them.
It’s just a gimmick
I’m about to buy a 36x ptz and it’s 2mp for a job coming up,I can safely say it will see at night.

RBW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
your on an analog bnc connection HD
I’m thinking the 10mbps is for its network connection
I have one of these on the bench but not yet used it
What I would do is start at 1080 for all three cameras
And set your frame rates at 15 if it has iframe rates match them at 15.
Then work up the resolution one at a time
Are you watching the system hooked up to a monitor out of the Dvr?
Works fine onsite using the web interface. I'm off-site using playback on ivms 4500.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok your downloading the main stream it sounds like.
Of site live view ok?
I don’t use the recording function on iVMS-4500 as that pulls in the main stream and it’s slow to load. I did try it once and had that issue as the recording was high definition. I only use it for live view when we are away.
There would be a setting to use, so record sub steam off site on the dvr web GUI

RBW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok your downloading the main stream it sounds like.
Of site live view ok?
I don’t use the recording function on iVMS-4500 as that pulls in the main stream and it’s slow to load. I did try it once and had that issue as the recording was high definition. I only use it for live view when we are away.
There would be a setting to use, so record sub steam off site on the dvr web GUI
Yeah live view is fine using sub stream. Struggles a bit using main stream.

Playback is also main stream and struggling so i'm thinking the internet connection cannot handle the amount of data. So reducing the frame rate might help. Also maybe reduce from 3mp to 2mp as there really appears minimum difference.