4K NVR

turbocam22

n3wb
Reaction score
Looking to setup a 2 camera 4k NVR I have a SuperMicro server Xeon E5-1650 6 core 3.5 GHz processor, 64 gigs of memory and 6T drive running WIndows 10 or 2012 Server. Will this work with BlueIris software and 7-day constant recording? Is there a better solution software or hardware wise all thought welcome. thanks.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I run a Xeon E3-1225 V3 with 6 cams, most of them are 2mp. I'm fine, way less then 50% CPU load.
I suspect with two cams you will be fine, but lots of factors. Win 10, think I have 8gb of ram.

Will this PC be dedicated to BI? That is advised.
What version of the xeon? For 2 cams, probably doesn't matter.
Not sure what you mean by 4k nvr. I just record what the cameras put out, I setup my cameras to put out max resolution but at 15 fps.
I would recommend a WD Purple hard drive. They are designed to record video from cams. I have a 3tb one, and that's plenty of space for weeks of recording.

Randy

turbocam22

n3wb
Reaction score
It will be a dedicated BI. The processor is E5-1650 6 cores 12 threads. 4K NVR meaning 4k = the camera will be sending out 8m 4096 x 2160 @ 30fps per specs sheet. NVR is the Network video recording device and I would like it to be able to capture all 8m of information on constant bases with maybe 4 - 7 day capture time frame. Would like to know will BI keep up.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IMO, most folks here use i5/i7 processors -- just wanted to throw that out there in case you were wondering why nobody's left any definite performance feedback so far.

Most Xeons don't seem to support Intel's QuickSync feature, which BI can use for H.264 hardware acceleration (which reduces the load on the processor).

If I were you, I'd give the Blue Iris 14-day free demo a whirl and see how it goes. Keep in mind that the "Direct to disc" feature doesn't always work during the demo period, which can cause the CPU usage to be higher in the demo than what it is in the paid version.

Also, you might consider dropping your frame rates down. Going from 30 FPS to 15 FPS will cut the processing load on BI in half, and double the amount of recordings you can fit on your disk. That thought usually seems crazy to folks first setting up their their systems (or at least it did to me), but for most folks, getting 15 pictures of something every second is almost always more than enough when you need to review a recording.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I do have a xeon that supports quicksync, and with two cams it may not matter.
But like aristobrat said, try the demo version on the PC, you have nothing to lose.

BTW, you didn't say if you had picked, or bought your cams yet.
I recommend looking at the dahua starlights,
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

high mp is not everything, these take great pictures at night, which is the most challenging conditions for a cam.

turbocam22

n3wb
Reaction score
So I did not see Intel's QuickSync on my Xeon ARK for my processor is this going to cause me problem or with 6core/12thread will still have enough power

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I did not see Intel's QuickSync on my Xeon ARK for my processor is this going to cause me problem or with 6core/12thread will still have enough power
I would hope that even with no QuickSync that a Xeon could keep up with two cameras. Download the demo version and try it out. And like @randytsuch mentioned, if you haven't already bought the 4K cameras, you might find the newer 2MP Dahua/Hikivison cameras (that have the Sony STARVIS sensors with bigger pixel sizes) provide a better overall image because of their superior low-light performance.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
BI is pretty easy to setup for continuous recording. Give it a go.
In the long run, you may also want to consider electricity costs.
My e3 PC uses about 20 watts if I remember correctly. Maybe 30.
This PC is on 24/7, so the electricity cost does add up. If your E5 consumes a lot of watts, may be cheaper in long run to get a more efficient PC.