4k starlights

LittleScoobyMaster

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Besides that one Dahua PTZ that I think is a Starlight (and over a grand), how long until Dahua releases a decent batch of 4K Starlight cameras? (like the turrets, small bullets, etc.)

1080p is so 1998 I can't stand it any more. It becomes plainly obvious when you use a 1080p video image stretched on a large 4k tv that these night time cameras need to up their resolution game to 4K and beyond. What is the hold up precisely?

It's been a few months since I looked up the exact resolution specs the starvis sensors could handle. I don't remember if they had one that covered 4K or not.

C'mon slow *ss surveillance industry. Get with the program!!

Last edited:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
no 4k are starlights, there using the same Starvis technology in the sensors that the Starlights have but when you pack that many pixels into a sensor it looses sensitivity to photons..

mebe in 5-10 years or so, big sensors === big money optics.. the electronics can get cheaper and better but the optics will always be a big cost.. You can buy 1/3", or 1/2.8" lenses for a dime a dozen, 1/2" to 1" lenses cost more than most Economy ranged cameras alone.

4k Displays are best for viewing a grid of cameras w/out so much downscaling.. get over it.

LittleScoobyMaster

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
no 4k are starlights, there using the same Starvis technology in the sensors that the Starlights have but when you pack that many pixels into a sensor it looses sensitivity to photons..

mebe in 5-10 years or so, big sensors === big money optics.. the electronics can get cheaper and better but the optics will always be a big cost.. You can buy 1/3", or 1/2.8" lenses for a dime a dozen, 1/2" to 1" lenses cost more than most Economy ranged cameras alone.

4k Displays are best for viewing a grid of cameras w/out so much downscaling.. get over it.
The surveillance industry needs to hire somebody from Nvidia to bring them to the present. This is ridiculous. We should have decent 4k night time sensors by now at a decent price. Somebody should start a Kickstarter campaign or something to develop high resolution low light sensitivity sensors. I'm tired of waiting. These lame 1080p feeds make me want to puke.

Lame surveillance industry. They need something like this, Intelligent Video Analytics Platform | NVIDIA Embedded Systems but for low light sensing. C'mon Nvidia. Take on Sony and their lame Starvis! Kick their butts!

Last edited:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
uh Sony makes the sensors; just like they make the sensors for practically every good digital camera on market for the last decade.. These Exmor-R Starvis sensors are a giant leap from the previous technology, like going from 8bit to 64bit gaming console..

Nvidia dont know dick about CCD technology.. just like you.

Korgoth

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Dahua soon will release 4/3" CVI 4K camera. It shoudnt be so expensive. Expecting sample in 3 weeks

Wysłane z mojego SM-G935F przy użyciu Tapatalka

LittleScoobyMaster

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
uh Sony makes the sensors; just like they make the sensors for practically every good digital camera on market for the last decade.. These Exmor-R Starvis sensors are a giant leap from the previous technology, like going from 8bit to 64bit gaming console..

Nvidia dont know dick about CCD technology.. just like you.
I know they don't. And that is the exact problem. If Nvidia was going against Sony for low light, they would blow them away. But I doubt Nvidia will ever enter that arena. In the meantime Sony can take their own time because they don't have any decent competition. I know Starvis is Sony's best for now but they really need some competition.

jstabb

n3wb
Reaction score
I know they don't. And that is the exact problem. If Nvidia was going against Sony for low light, they would blow them away. But I doubt Nvidia will ever enter that arena. In the meantime Sony can take their own time because they don't have any decent competition. I know Starvis is Sony's best for now but they really need some competition.
So... Canon, Nikon, Toshiba, Samsung, Panasonic, etc... aren't "decent competition", but Nvidia who has absolutely no experience in the industry, and hasn't had to deal with more than one competitor in ages, would blow away Sony... I have no idea why you think Nvidia would be more successful (or even more baffling why one person from their company, with no expertise in imaging sensors, would make big improvements for the CCTV industry).

As for your dissatisfaction with the state of current imaging sensors... We should have decent 4k 120fps in every game graphics cards by now at a fair price. Somebody should start a kickstarter campaign or something to develop a high resolution, high framerate graphics chip. I'm tired of waiting. These lame 1440p graphics chips make me want to puke. If only Sony would make a graphics chip, they would blow Nvidia away.

Sorry for the snark, but your posts are beyond ridiculous, and must be intentional trolling.

dcartier

n3wb
Reaction score
Not a cctv cam but the Sony A7s full frame sensor with similar amout of pixels has current 4k ip cameras , if anyone has seen what this camera can do.Pitch dark color video in 4k.
Wow, that is crazy quality for low light colour images. Sadly I doubt we will see that in a security cam anytime soon.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm sure you can get a bad ass low light 4k security cam, they probably exist, you will just pay an arm and a left nut for them. I am also pretty annoyed by 1080p mostly because you can only cover a small area with good pixel density, but then security cameras do a hell of a lot more than your cell phone camera. They automatically adjust for all sorts of conditions, they also run 24x7 from really cold to really hot temps. I am fairly sure the security camera industry is dragging their ass because they can get away with it, just like how glucose meters are still ancient as fuck for the most part but they get away with it. It is what it is unfortunately. Cameras have gotten a lot better and a lot cheaper though, I remember not long ago when a crappy 3mp manual varifocal costed you $300, now you can pick up these motorized varifocal kick ass low light 2mp turrets for $170. I do hope they get their asses a little more in gear though lol.

LittleScoobyMaster

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So... Canon, Nikon, Toshiba, Samsung, Panasonic, etc... aren't "decent competition", but Nvidia who has absolutely no experience in the industry, and hasn't had to deal with more than one competitor in ages, would blow away Sony... I have no idea why you think Nvidia would be more successful (or even more baffling why one person from their company, with no expertise in imaging sensors, would make big improvements for the CCTV industry).
Sorry for the snark, but your posts are beyond ridiculous, and must be intentional trolling.
Wasn't trolling, just commenting on my dissatisfaction with the industry as far as high MP low light sensors are concerned, especially 4k low lights which seem to still be outrageously priced, which is why we are all settling for the 5231Z.

Basically, we all know Nvidia and AMD fight head to head for GPU dominance. Who really fights against Sony for low light sensors? What is the direct competitor to the Starvis?

We must be getting somewhat closer to low cost super low light sensitivity high resolution sensors some time soon. I hope. I wish we had something in the low light sensor arena like what we see with Nvidia, where every 6 months we get a new refresh. If we had that with low light sensors, that would be great, but we don't yet and so I always wonder why we have the hold up. I know I'm not the only person who thinks 1080p is getting boring and starting to show its age. When you start viewing 1080p streams on large 4k sets, you really start to see where the extra detail should be for night time video. It's been like this forever. Starting back 15 years ago when Geovision had their old capture cards that would improve maybe by 25% in 5 to 6 years. Hopefully some day the industry will pick up some speed.

Last edited:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
apples, meet oranges..

Its not the sensors that are horribly expensive, its the optics.. and Sony aint making the optics.. Big Optics for Big Sensors that are quality often cost more than the camera its self.. Back when I got into Photography/Videography in the 90's good optics were more than the camera bodies, and here 20 years later that is still true.. Prices havent really changed on quality big imager optics, just now there's a bunch of very cheap low quality stuff for small sensors that was not available then.

Sony has tons of competition, whatever your smoking pass it over here.. nobody is settling for shit w/the starlights, your clearly a noob w/no experience w/this technology, or you've had your head up your ass for the last 20 years.

You can buy a fixed lens for a standard 1/3" sensor for $10, to buy the same cheap quality lens for a 1/2" sensor is $100.. and it just goes up linearly like this

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I agree that I still think the security camera industry is dragging their ass because they can, yeah optics are expensive but if you've been in tech for any amount of time, you know their progress is still a damn snails pace. Someone could probably come out with something much more awesome for a lot cheaper but then it would fuck up everyone's profit margin and that person would probably be found dead by suicide with 2 rounds to the back of the head lol.