4mp with IR Cannon vs 2mp starlight ??? (nayr)

JasonS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am getting ready to order a bunch of cameras for my new home setup and want the best of both worlds...
An awesome daylight camera with 4 or 5 mp and great nightvision. ($200 per camera Max)

I am looking at the Dahua 2mp starlight 5231 and its great night time reviews, but wondering about flooding my front and back yard with a IR Cannon and going with High Megapixels Cameras.

Does anybody have any experience with this and opinions on this ?

Looking forward to everyone's response.

Thanks

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Been there done that; the cannon w/the 2MP's is the best results..

HiLux = Cannon / LowLux = Onboard IR

I had 2 4MP's w/IR Cannons, and now they been trashed and im using 2MP Starlights w/em

JasonS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
are you using the cannon in this video?
it is not clear which one is which

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
look at the brick, bushes, grass, house across the street.. both are running auto exposure.. dont let it fool yeh

here's 2 captures with both cameras set to the exact same shutter speeds (1/100)

upload_2017-3-13_19-27-7.png

JasonS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK OK OK i am ordering a couple 5231's to begin my new home build.
8 outdoor cams and one indoor ptz like the Dahua SD52C225U-HNI

Side question...
I want to try BLUE IRIS as my software only because i never liked hikvison playback at my business.
(I think i want blue iris)
I had already ordered the new hikvion 4k DVR for my new home setup, but now returning it and went for a powerful i7 optiplex.
My question to you is..
What software do you feel offers the best user experience?
how would you build it out?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if your mixing and matching hiks and dahuas and others.. then BlueIris will be far better of a choice; hardware NVR's start compromising far too much if your not keeping everything the same manufacturer.

JasonS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
if your mixing and matching hiks and dahuas and others.. then BlueIris will be far better of a choice; hardware NVR's start compromising far too much if your not keeping everything the same manufacturer.
Seems like I will be going exclusively with Dahua cameras...
a few 5231's, some mini PTZ's and a couple of those new nanny wifi PTZ's to move around the home as needed.

So my question is, what is your opinion as to the best user experience on the mobile app for my setup... Blue Iris or Dahua NVR?
(and i am taking into consideration that you are not impressed with user experience but rather functionality)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Best user experience is typically hardware NVR w/matching brand cameras, its simple and reliable and you can be up and running pretty quickly.. BlueIris is more feature packed and offers alot more functionality; but requires more time setting it up right and there's alot of pitfalls you need to navigate around (right hardware, right drivers, right config)

Reaction score
look at the brick, bushes, grass, house across the street.. both are running auto exposure.. dont let it fool yeh

here's 2 captures with both cameras set to the exact same shutter speeds (1/100)

View attachment 16177
What is the Dahua Starlight 2MP model that you have ?
Can you tell me what is the difference between Starlight IR and Starlight Lazer ?

Last edited: