5.0.2 - August 12, 2019 - ALPR support using Plate Recognizer

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
5.0.2 - August 12, 2019
Blue Iris now honors the Windows preference to move the cursor to the default button
(usually OK) on pop-up message dialogs.

The code to create and alert images has been moved to its own thread—this makes the video
capture thread more efficient and allows for alert image post-processing.
Also, the trigger/alerts thread has been re-written to work most effectively with Sentry Smart Alerts.
Sentry Smart Alert configuration has been moved to a new page “Artificial Intelligence” from
the Trigger tab in camera settings. ALPR support using Plate Recognizer has been added to
this page as well. Sentry works to filter false-alarms via person-detection. ALPR works by
analyzing the alert image—if a license tag is found, the number is added to the database and
visible on the alerts list.

pnybug

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Sorry for the newbie question with ALPR config. Just wanted to know what the format is for Cloud API with token in the textbox. Is it appended as a query string in this URL ?
License Plate Recognition API - High accuracy ANPR ? Sorry just need an example entry. Thanks

Last edited:

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sign up for the free trial from the Learn more button in BI and you'll be given the API token to paste into that box in BI - I tried it earlier and it works fine - for now it seems the license plate info is just added to the full Blue Iris GUI and not in UI3.

pnybug

n3wb
Reaction score
Sign up for the free trial from the Learn more button in BI and you'll be given the API token to paste into that box in BI - I tried it earlier and it works fine - for now it seems the license plate info is just added to the full Blue Iris GUI and not in UI3.
Oh ok. I got thrown off by the radio button label "Cloud API with Token" . It actually was only asking for the registered users API Token. I put it in and it works. Looks like it appends the license plate to the clips attribute. Looks good.
upload_2019-8-13_14-34-14.png

Last edited:

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is there anyway to adjust the timing of the Alert pic?
The LPR screen grab works in one direction, but not the other - the vehicle plate is out of the frame.

Capture1.PNG Capture2.PNG

sp3ctre

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Interesting feature but is there a way to process the responses or do something based on the plate match? Just having it appear in the alert doesn't seem to add much value, or am I missing something?

WSCam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is there anyway to adjust the timing of the Alert pic?
The LPR screen grab works in one direction, but not the other - the vehicle plate is out of the frame.

View attachment 45997 View attachment 45998
I'm also just now trying out the Plate Recognizer feature. I have the same problem where the motion that triggers the recording has the car coming into the frame but the plate isn't visible yet. Those are the images being sent via the API, which of course result in no plate being recognized. If I play the video, usually just a second later is when the plate appears in the frame, so it'd be nice if there were some type of adjustable offset for that feature. Like "alert +1 second" or something where you can tweak it as needed.

I'll admit this is not a dedicated ALPR camera placement, but it does give me human readable plates during the day, and usually at night as well. If I setup a specific camera that was pointed more directly at incoming cars, maybe I'd have better luck? Or would it trigger when the car is still far away, but it would be clearer and better if I could adjust it so the image being sent off had the plate larger in the frame?

What I may end up doing for now is turning on the rectangles for the motion alerts and see if I can tweak some things so the trigger doesn't happen until the car and plate are really, truly, visible. It's a start, I suppose.

I honestly wasn't expecting this feature to show up and since I can generally look at the recording and get a plate number in many cases, I'm not missing too much if I can't get this quite right, but it sure sounds like a neat feature and I was happy to try it out.

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
Testing out Plate Recognizer on on of my LPR cams (HFW5241E-Z12E).
The camera is also using OpenALPR for LPR detection, should be an interesting experiment.

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
How many images are sent for recognition. I'm using open ALPR where the recognition is done on 100% of the frames on the PC. Often there are only a handfull of frames for 20 second video clips that can provide an accurate OCR. I can't imagine this would work so well doing all the recognition in the cloud when doing it on a local PC requires so little processing for for ALPR.

Also, is there any kind notifications other than trying to cobble one together with their webhooks? Any white listing so you can filter out the 10 neighborhood cars that drive by multiple times a day?

Last edited:

Seyitan

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Sorry for the newbie question with ALPR config. Just wanted to know what the format is for Cloud API with token in the textbox. Is it appended as a query string in this URL ?
License Plate Recognition API - High accuracy ANPR ? Sorry just need an example entry. Thanks
I think you should check this site out, Plate recognizer .I got all my issues about camera and license plate recognition solved by reading their blog post and from their customer service.

sp3ctre

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think you should check this site out, Plate recognizer .I got all my issues about camera and license plate recognition solved by reading their blog post and from their customer service.
I’m not convinced the answer lies with them to be honest. They do the job of returning the plate to blue iris, it’s what happens next that is the interesting bit. I see it goes in the log files but it’d be good if there were other options like putting plates in their own log file or poking an API.