50 Cat6 runs outside, things to consider for a successful long-term install?

Reaction score
I’m looking at a large setup, 90 cameras, 50 of which will have some portion of the cable outside. Some only a short middle section as it goes to another building, and others nearly 500' outside (using HIKVision PoE extender mode).

We're planning on running all of the wires inside of conduit / PVC piping as much as we can, in addition to using outdoor rated cable. I'm in a developing nation, so the quality of my "outdoor" cable is hard to anticipate.

But with this much cable outside, do I need any other special considerations? It doesn't seem that we need shielded cable, all of these lines will be run by themselves, with no other main power close by. But all of them will be coming back to the same central point to patch panels.

Reaction score
High quality gel-filled cable in that conduit. Lightening protection?
Well. I'm a bit doubtful that we'll be able to get gel filled cable here. All conduit will be up off of the ground, following perimeter fencing or added structural wire.

And for 100+ cameras, what are my options for lightning protection? Each of the main buildings are 2+ stories with lightning rods at the top... but I'm in a developing nation, so any wiring is a bit sketchy.

From reading, shielded cables seems more for interference than lightning?

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
UV rated cable if it is exposed to sunlight. Don’t let rain water enter the ends of the conduit from being turned up. Good idea to let conduit breath also to minimize condensation. If you bury the conduit it will fill with water and that will make it inside the cable if the cable isn’t rated for direct bury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
ensure you run a trailing pull string in every conduit. Just incase down the road the cable fails and you need to replace or add to it.
90 cameras. Hmm... wildlife preserve? :)

Reaction score
ensure you run a trailing pull string in every conduit. Just incase down the road the cable fails and you need to replace or add to it.
90 cameras. Hmm... wildlife preserve? :)
Good idea on the pull string. It's a child protection facility, so trying to get as much coverage as we can.

Reaction score
when they lay in the conduit, have them put the string in as each piece is added. Else, you would have to use a strong shop vac to suck a plastic bundle tied to a string to get it all the way through 500'. Hmm.... 500'. At the 250' mark, I would put in some sort of pull box that you can get access to in the future. 500' is a hard pull all in itself. Less 90degree turns the better. 1 or 2 should be ok. Once you have 3 or more 90 degree turns, it gets super rough to pull cable at that distance.