5241E-Z12E which setting would you change?

snova

n3wb
Reaction score
looking forward to trying this cam out when it gets here. I assume smaller iris, means higher f/stop? i.e. smaller iris means longer depth of field (i.e. focus)) but less light?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes. Recommend small slight adjustments one function at a time.
At the end of the day, like all cameras, it’s mostly about light. Put enough light on the scene (IR or white light) and most everything else sorts itself out rather easily.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I lose a few plates here and there when I let the camera Switch from day to night on a schedule and also on Day/Night profile. The focus can off get the mark in transition sometimes.....Therefore it stays on Night at 1/2000. The IR illumination is on Auto.
So that it will shut off during the day.
AssClowns generally drive thru in low light hours. And I hate missing their plates as predawn changes to sunrise.
Mine is so zoomed up that color won't do a helluva lotta good anyhow. I might catch a few frames where you can read the make or model. But not usually.

I do this on one of mine as well. Removes any problem with focus shift.

snova

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't have any prior experience with this camera and perhaps this is an FAQ. It it common to see internal reflections with this camera? i.e it seems that tail lights, headlights, etc bounce off between the lens elements and/or the glass/plexiglass lens cover. Looks similar to a flare, creative highlight ghosting Do I have a bad unit or is there something I should be doing differently? yes, I took off the protective plastic sticker off the element glass. ;-Pdrivewayfork.20220819_195151733.4.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, that can happen at certain angles and field of views. Sometimes just a minor adjustment can eliminate it or make it less noticeable, or make it worse LOL.

Plus if you are using it for LPR, once you set the shutter to faster to get the plates, that can knock a lot of it out as well.

snova

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, that can happen at certain angles and field of views. Sometimes just a minor adjustment can eliminate it or make it less noticeable, or make it worse LOL.

Plus if you are using it for LPR, once you set the shutter to faster to get the plates, that can knock a lot of it out as well.
maybe the right name for them is specular highlights. When moving the "iris" control to max position, it seems to reduce the size of the flares. Does anyone know
if a large value correlates to the iris being wide open or mostly closed. I think it probably mostly closed with the iris control is set all the way up.

Photon Farmer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does anyone know
if a large value correlates to the iris being wide open or mostly closed.
With the 5241E-Z12E the higher the iris number, the larger the iris opening, the more light you let in.
Also with a larger iris number you decrease the depth of field.
A strange result I have noticed with the 5241E-Z12E when using a close to maximum setting for iris, the shorter and longer distance at right and left of capture will be in focus while, the center will be out of focus.

bickford

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The best results i have with Z12 is with 35% IRIS I think there is bug on the firmware with 50% or more i have blurred picture !

BICK