5442 Smart IR setting?

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I don't use the onboard IR illuminator for any of my 5442s, instead I use a Tendelux external IR with each FOV. I noticed there's a setting called Smart IR. What does it do if I'm not using the onboard IR? Turning it off really changes the exposure of the scene. What's the best practice for my use case, Smart IR on or off? Thanks!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Smart IR adjusts the settings so that a face isn't blown out all white when someone is close to the camera.

As with anything, it is best to test both ways and go with the configuration that provides you with the best images.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Smart IR adjusts the settings so that a face isn't blown out all white when someone is close to the camera.

As with anything, it is best to test both ways and go with the configuration that provides you with the best images.
I just wonder if the Smart IR setting is tied to the onboard IR. Obviously it has no relationship with my external IR for the camera.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You said turning Smart IR off "really changes the exposure settings" when you have your onboard IR off, so apparently it is changing based on the IR the camera is seeing from the external.

I thought it only worked if onboard is on as well, but you have indicated it changes either way (or I misread what you said LOL)

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
You said turning Smart IR off "really changes the exposure settings" when you have your onboard IR off, so apparently it is changing based on the IR the camera is seeing from the external.

I thought it only worked if onboard is on as well, but you have indicated it changes either way (or I misread what you said LOL)
No it definitely changes it. See examples below...
1687743188580.png1687743239060.png

1687743321672.png
1687743381389.png

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If that star is a garden light in the center, I would put a masking tape on it so that it doesn't blind your camera. Then see if there is an improvement.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
If that star is a garden light in the center, I would put a masking tape on it so that it doesn't blind your camera. Then see if there is an improvement.
That light turns off at 11 pm. I did a test afterwards and found that leaving Smart IR on yielded the best results.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I just wonder if the Smart IR setting is tied to the onboard IR. Obviously it has no relationship with my external IR for the camera.
SmartIR On is indeed using your onboard IR. As mentioned In theory it adjusts the IR as subjects get closer to the camera to try and prevent IR washout.
But yes SmartIR is a setting of your onboard IR… at least it used to be

Problem is it works differently for various FW versions over the years…many not so well.

Last edited:

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
SmartIR On is indeed using your onboard IR. As mentioned In theory it adjusts the IR as subjects get closer to the camera to try and prevent IR washout.
But yes SmartIR is a setting of your onboard IR… at least it used to be

Problem is it works differently for various FW versions over the years…many not so well.
Curious how the exposure changes by just turning Smart IR On or Off. Since I use external IRs only, I'm going to turn it off and then dial in my night settings. The test I did last night left all the settings as is and they weren't optimal if Smart IR was turned off.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Curious how the exposure changes by just turning Smart IR On or Off. Since I use external IRs only, I'm going to turn it off and then dial in my night settings. The test I did last night left all the settings as is and they weren't optimal if Smart IR was turned off.
It may be just a firmware bug. I've noticed that sometimes changing various setting in the cam UI defaults the exposure time back to 0 - 33.33s and then I have to reset it back to my parameters.