5442 substream displaying even when disabled?

Gilera

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I noticed the other day that when viewing my 4 cameras (2 of these are dahua) through the Xprotect Smart Client screen that the HDW5442TM-ASE image looked a bit strange. When i double click to expand the window for that camera to full page view it changes to a great looking image. This does not seem to happen with my HDW2431 camera or other different brand cameras (i.e. the image looks the same whether in the 4 x 4 view or full page). The thing is that only the mainstream is enabled on both of these cams. Can the 5442 display a lower resolution image even when the substream is disabled?

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 5442 has two substreams - are both off?

Or depending on the field of view and what it sees, maybe at the smaller size for the better resolution it looks worse (like a chain link fence or wood fence can cause a weird effect on certain sizes).

Gilera

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes both are off. It is a 2.8mm camera. It does seem as you describe - just a weird effect on certain things like light reflected of a rippled water surface and along certain borders - its not like a typical low res image. Never seen it before but this is my highest resolution camera. So this can be normal for high res images viewed at a small size?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes that probably what it is - we see folks come here from time to time and it simply taking a high res image shoved into a small size and weird scaling going on.

I get that with my 5442 on my neighbors fence if the image is below a certain size.