5442 Turret vs Bullet and Gutter IR Reflections

rgrandy

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a camera location over my garage and under the soffit. I previously had an older turret camera there however I had to lower it significantly due to IR reflections off of the gutters causing the image to washout. I changed to a bullet and that seemed to improve it (maybe it sticks out farther).

Are there any advantages to going with a bullet vs a turret?

I am looking at getting the IPC-T5442TM-AS and am trying to decide on bullet vs turret. I would prefer turret but I don't want to have to deal with the reflections again.

How does everyone else deal with this situation? Can you put little hats on the camera to limit the IR from going up and causing reflections?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Generally, bullets have issues with webs from spiders....the IR ring around the lens attracts insects, the spider figures this out and strings its web across the lens. Turrets usually have the IR source apart from the lens.

You could disable the IR from the turret and install a separate IR emitter located further down and/or out from the cam to prevent IR bounce back and subsequent washout.

rgrandy

n3wb
Reaction score
Generally, bullets have issues with webs from spiders....the IR ring around the lens attracts insects, the spider figures this out and strings its web across the lens. Turrets usually have the IR source apart from the lens.

You could disable the IR from the turret and install a separate IR emitter located further down and/or out from the cam to prevent IR bounce back and subsequent washout.
Thanks for the reply, I don't think I have heard anyone say much positive about bullet vs turret, so maybe I'll just go turret and just keep it lower, or do the separate IR emitter (I was hoping to avoid this).

I haven't had any issues yet with my bullet in terms of spiders, but maybe it is just a matter of time.

kklee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have two IPC-T5442TM-AS turrets installed, one at the front and one at the rear of my house.

There's enough ambient light that I disabled the IR illuminator on both and they still provide a really crisp view in the middle of the night. The sensors on these cameras are great.

I originally had domes and I found that the IR illuminators attracted bugs, so I got tons of false alerts from moths, etc, buzzing the camera.

Front 2020-09-10 12.11.55.12 AM.jpg

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Newer (2017 and up) Dahau bullet cameras typically do NOT have rings of small LED's and are NOT any more susceptible to spiders than turrets. they use the same large LED's as turrets.

Under eaves and close to soffit are a great place for bullet form factor cameras as they do seem to extend just far enough to minimize IR reflection in most cases.

In the example above, the camera is pointing down at a fairly steep angle thereby eliminating the IR reflection issue.

Last edited:

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have a 5442 turret under my garage soffit. Its usually in full color, except right now because the wife likes to change the outdoor garage light colors with the seasons, and orange keeps it in b/w. The IR catches a little of the gutter and the white soffit, and there is no washout on this camera below that.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Before I upgraded to IP turret cams I had a bullet cam that caught part of the gutter downspout in it's frame. I spray painted the back/camera side of the downspout a flat black and it significantly cut down on the IR reflection. The Turret didnt stick out as much and had a wider angle so I moved it away from the downspout when I switched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I use gaffers tape to cover anything that reflects the IR.
It is made for stage use, so it's anti reflective, and can be pulled off later with out
leaving much sticky behind. Really good gaffers tape leaves nothing behind.

ArnonZ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Are there any advantages to going with a bullet vs a turret?
I can tell you that I have 4 of each. Both types 5442
The main difference in performance is more about the location. There is no much of a difference in the performance of the cams.
However that, and since both preforms pretty much the same, I can tell you that the bullet have got many alarm and audio outlets that I do not and cannot use anyway.
But the turrets have a VERY GOOD build in audio. I did not care about it at first, did not look for it but it's awesome!!!
I didn't expect it but I can really hear everything including footsteps
The noise reduction is so damn good that (except for one cam where I can hear the wind), I can hear people whispering on the side walk way better than I could hear them if I was standing outside.
If there is one really good surprise from the 8 cams it's definitely the voice of the 5442T-ZE turrets.
I know it's not what you were asking, but it sure is a factor I'd consider when choosing between them.

xtropodx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is why you always should temporally test any proposed location for 24hrs before permanent install.
2 turrets I've installed, both attract moths every now & then. Usually only when they get real close they linger around for a little while. Most of the time it's not an issue.