5442 Turrets in black

cdogg44

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a black 5442T-ZE I got from Empiretech last year as my first camera. After trying out the zoom I now have a good idea of what lenses I need to finish my setup.

The house has black siding and the black turret disappears into the exterior. Are fixed lens versions available in black?

Or is there any real benefit to spending the money now and going varifocal lens everywhere?

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The house has black siding and the black turret disappears into the exterior. Are fixed lens versions available in black?
Not of the 5442 series. But there are spray cans in a store nearby. If it matters, it can be changed.

Or is there any real benefit to spending the money now and going varifocal lens everywhere?
The varifocal has advantages and disadvantages.
The obvious advantages are the zoom ability and the color choice. A further advantage (which may be crucial) is the ability to manually focus the thing on a distance of your choice.
The disadvantages are the higher price, and optics that will allow less light in (worse night vision) than the fixfocals.

I don't quite understand, why Dahua doesn't offer the cameras in black as well.

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
If the black color is important to you, then Just buy the vari-focal. It's kind of a pain painting them (and having it come out well at least). I've done several. Along with the added flexibility of the vari-focal, the $30 difference in price is worth it just to avoid the time and trouble. If it were a camera that you needed in black that you couldn't get otherwise, then maybe. The bullets you can wrap pretty easily and just spray the base but that doesn't work with the turrets.

prsmith777

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a bunch of black turrets already installed and I was thinking it would be nice to pray paint them to match the house wall color.
Was thinking I might be able to mask the wall and the lens and IR and spray paint them in place. Taking them down to paint them would be the other option. Not sure which would be easier

cdogg44

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok I though maybe I just couldn't find black turrets. It is kind of strange they make the black in the varifocal only.

For $30 it's worth not painting them. The factory finish seemed quite good on the one I already have.

The brightness of a fixed lens would be nice but in the locations I have left it will not make a big difference.

jarrow

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
They do make them and some shops do sell them, just not Andy.
The problem is that when they want to sell a black version of a fixed focal cam, they don't just need to add 1 more stock item, but 2 or 3 (2.8, 3.6 and 6.0 mm lenses).

duplo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Could you link an offer of a store selling black 5442 fixfocals (not dual)? I have never seen one.

and NL has some models in dark grey and red

color on this shop is not correct shown, but its cheap

here you see dark grey

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are those the new S3 models?

I wonder why andy doesn't offer them. I'd much prefer black.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think the biggest reason is he has to buy so many and if they aren't big sellers then he is stuck with a big inventory.

These are easy to paint.

jarrow

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Are those the new S3 models?
Based on the pictures they aren't, as the new S3 model fixed focal has a plastic ring around the base.

Clients over here (the Netherlands) much prefer black too. Would like for a more budget friendly black option, maybe the HDW3241T-ZAS, so I have options for clients who have less to spare but want black (spray painting could work but the added work from our side would be just as much as an upgrade to the 5442)