568-A or 568-B For RJ45 plugs

Paul Arthur

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
what is the best for POE cameras i'm using Hikvision POE Cameras

at both ends would 568-B be fine? or 568-A ? for the RJ45 plugs since i'm making them my self

i'm using cat 6 wiring AWG 23

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I believe that 568B is what you want and I believe that 568A is used for crossover cables. I always use 568B. That Cat6 cable is going to be a lot stiffer and harder to work with than Cat5e.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I believe that 568B is what you want and I believe that 568A is used for crossover cables. I always use 568B. That Cat6 cable is going to be a lot stiffer and harder to work with than Cat5e.
Crossovers aren't too relevant these days with Auto MDI/MDX, but they are A on one end and B on the other.

For general use as long as both ends are the same it will work, but B is the norm for data.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Crossovers aren't too relevant these days with Auto MDI/MDX, but they are A on one end and B on the other.

For general use as long as both ends are the same it will work, but B is the norm for data.
That's right...you can make your cables up any way you like...as long as they are all the same...but rue the day you plug a device into your network using a cable you didn't make up. Use 568B and that day will never come, eh?

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That Cat6 cable is going to be a lot stiffer and harder to work with than Cat5e.
He's not kidding. Check out this video... specifically the part around 1:57 where you see the guy running the wires over a piece of insulation. I run mine across the curved edge of a pair of scissors to try and help straighten it out. Makes it much easier to hold the wires in the correct order before your crimp. I usually run each color pair over the edge when i untwist them and then again once i have them in the 568B order before I crimp. Really helps keep them where i want them.

Paul Arthur

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thanks guys the cable i use is 100% copper cat6 not 1 problem i can make plugs very fast but was not sure if ip poe needed something different thanks for your help i just used B all working great