7608-E2 NVR - Max BitRate setting breaks live-view

tails_naf

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the 7608NI-E2/8P NVR with (so far) 2 2DS-2132 dome cameras.

Most things are up an running, with one strange issue - Live view, either on the internal lan with a PC/app/browser, or externally, is severely limited by the max bitrate setting.

If I set it to 2048 Kbps or higher, live view does not work. Any method of access (web-browser on LAN, iVMS 4200 on lan, etc) will show a blank screen.
If I log into the ipcamera itself (via the virtual host option) live-view works there no problem at any bitreate - so it is not a network bandwidth issue, it appears to only be an issue when 'passing through' the NVR.
Live view of the substream works fine (I assume because its bitrate is low by default)
Also, this is only a live-view issue, looking at full-quality playback video works fine through all methods.

If I reduce the bandwidth, to say 1792kbps, then everything works fine also - except of course the picture quality suffers somewhat. Ideally I do not want to do this, as it will affect the recorded quality too.

When the live-view is not working, I do see the network traffic on the NVR report is it sending data - it just seems no display can show it - and again all works fine when I drop the bitrate below the magic 2048 kbps mark. There is only 1 camera plugged in too and the Net Receive idle is reporting 77Mbps.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. This issue is really driving me mad.

Magnus357

n3wb
Reaction score
[h=3]Does it appear that the recorded data is at the desired higher bitrate?[/h]
I have the same NVR, using a DS-2CD2332-I cam, and live view works with any bitrate I've set. I'm running 61xx and it works fine, so it should work.

Have you tried live viewing via the VGA/HDMI port? See if live view works locally.

If nothing else works, maybe try a restore to factory defaults on the NVR and/or cam and see if that gets things working.

Lastly, what firmware are you running on the NVR and the cams?

tails_naf

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the follow up.

Yes, live-view on both VGA and HDMI works perfectly.

The firmware appears to be the latest from what I could find. As an aside, do you know of a good resource to find the latest firmware for each product. The hikvision site seems spotty for that kind of info.
The camera was so new that it required activation to get it going. The firmware on the NVR did not support this, so I used SADP to get it going. Even the SW in the box did not support the activation, so I downloaded the latest version.

I can get the exact numbers later when I have access to the system, but they are both either latest, or 1 version off latest.

Magnus357

n3wb
Reaction score
Hmmm. . .I'm not familiar with the "activation" concept, so you're likely beyond my skill level now. I've looked a little into this and it appears your cameras are running 5.3.0 or greater. Mine are all working on 5.2.5, which as I understand it is the latest available US firmware. Maybe downgrading the cams will help?

I've struggled to find a quick and easy firmware site from Hik as well.

The fact that it works locally and seems to be correct on playback make me think it's a network issue. A bandwidth issue perhaps.

tails_naf

n3wb
Reaction score
Just an update in case anyone else comes accross this problem -

I found the solution by randomly changing settings - and the most innocent setting - the 'I frame Interval' setting on the camera itself appears to have fixed it.
This was set at 50 - but setting it lower now works. I have 4096K bitrate and its working on all devices.

Now all I have to do is fix the IR reflection issue with these dome cameras and I'm good to go!

Thanks for the help and suggestions

Magnus357

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for following up. I'm not even really sure what that setting does. Off to investigate!