8 port POE switch options

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am looking for plan B in case I can't find a quiet NVR tomorrow at Nelly's to work with Hikvision. [see thread]

If I switch to BI, I need at least 6 POE ports. I guess I could do 2x TP-Link TL-SF1008P, but that would look a little messy.

TP Link also makes the 8 port POE+ switch for $155, but it has a fan, so I am concerned that I will be adding noise back...

Monoprice sells an 8 port POE switch for $100, but it also has a fan.

Using 1 TP-Link TL-SF1008P and 2 injectors doesn't make much sense based on cost or added wires.

Do you guys have any favorites or do I need to use 2 TP Link 4 port POE/4 port 10/100 switches?

Thanks in advance!
John

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Where there is power there is heat, where there is heat you need cooling. Maybe you can find a quieter fan. The TP Link 8 port POE+ is also noisy.

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Agreed. The SF1008p runs cool though, at least at the wattage outputs I have seen. I would have expected it to be warm.
Thanks for the info about the POE+!

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting and hat's off to them for explaining how the power budget works...

...total power budget of 124W...

The priority of supplying power goes down from Port 1 to Port 8. This function will help protecting the system when system power becomes overloaded. For example, if port 1, 2, 4 and 7 are using 30W (maximum power per port is 30W), then the total power is 120W. And if there is an additional device inserted into port 3 at 25W, the system will cut off the power of port 7. As a result, port 1, 2 and 4 will use 30W, and port 3 will use 25W. No power will be supplied to port 7.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
for IPCameras you wont come close to breaking 124w with only 8 cameras.. unless they are ALL ptz's.

most cameras average about 6w w/IR tops, so your looking at a whopping ~48w.. and thats a gracious allocation.

I have 12 PoE devices running right now and in the day time I am at a mere 56W of consumption (measured)

jasauders

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

jasauders

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been eyeing up this gizmo myself.
For what it's worth, a build I'm doing for my in-laws caused me to gravitate towards this switch. I'm still doing the initial setup of everything, but I just got the gizmo unboxed and hooked up. It seems to go the job well. 8 port, gigabit, POE on all 8 ports, hard to sneeze at for the price. Seems to work well in my initial tinkering.

Only thing worth mentioning is the physical size of the switch is what you'd expect from your typical 8 port switch, however it has an external "laptop-style" power adapter. And uh... it's quite large. It may even be slightly bigger than the switch itself.

The thing is silent though. I'm not hearing any whirling fans that you often have with bigger 1U switches. I'll likely buy one for myself once the family CEO lets me spend a few bucks. :p