8 Port POE Switch

Jim Pederson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@looney2ns
I ordered this PoE switch:
https://amzn.to/2Hsfzf7
It is only 10/100. Except for uplink.
It got lost in transit. Amazon wants to refund my order and let me start over.
So I get a second bite at the apple.
Ideally, I want 8 port switch, gigabyte, active, and possibly managed. But willing to compromise.

IS there a better choice?
Should I get managed switch?
Or just reorder this one...
Or start with a cheap 5 port and get the cameras running, then worry about final config later?
So confused LOL.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

trucams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What are your plans for a managed switch? If “uuuuuuhhh”, “or not sure... maybe something later” are the answer, go with the switch you posted. 10/100 will be fine for the cameras. Switch has gigabit if you connect anything that needs it. Many 8 port switches only have 8 ports so you have to steal one for the uplink... that is the same switch rebranded on the Dahua site.

Jim Pederson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What are your plans for a managed switch?
Only plans if it were managed: Make a VLAN for wife's computer and printer, use that switch to tie them in, ( they are near where it would reside) and second VLAN for cams and BI machine.
I have no experience with VLANs so it is all swirling in my head, and the Amazon fail to deliver forced me t rethink an already made decision.

Firefighter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
^^
If you're unsure about a managed switch just go back with that one.
The nice thing about it as mentioned is that you don't lose one of the 8 ports to up-linking. If you plan on using 8 cams poe, you'll need an extra for the network.

If you're ever wanting more than 8 cams/anything for poe you could go ahead and step up. Do you plan on expanding to utilize poe with more than the cams alone or add more than 8 cams?
Same brand, but 16 poe. Slight savings being twice the poe, but not exactly twice the price, all be it still an extra $60 on top of the $80. I'm sure some others like loony2ns/fenderman will chime in with the best options.
https://www.amazon.com/BV-Tech-Switch-Gigabit-Ethernet-uplink/dp/B01MQHD54L/ref=pd_sim_147_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01MQHD54L&pd_rd_r=X2Q8KFP7VFQ9CJPYM24W&pd_rd_w=j4aRp&pd_rd_wg=7Zpi5&psc=1&refRID=X2Q8KFP7VFQ9CJPYM24W

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@looney2ns
I ordered this PoE switch:
https://amzn.to/2Hsfzf7
It is only 10/100. Except for uplink.
It got lost in transit. Amazon wants to refund my order and let me start over.
So I get a second bite at the apple.
Ideally, I want 8 port switch, gigabyte, active, and possibly managed. But willing to compromise.

IS there a better choice?
Should I get managed switch?
Or just reorder this one...
Or start with a cheap 5 port and get the cameras running, then worry about final config later?
So confused LOL.
I don't see a problem with the one you ordered. As stated, it's a Dahua, and POE+.

But, if you want Vlan : https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-24-Port-Lifetime-Protection-JGS524PE/dp/B00GG1ADLS/ref=pd_sbs_147_5?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00GG1ADLS&pd_rd_r=GVXKY6QHXFGFV2SXWRJZ&pd_rd_w=LAV5z&pd_rd_wg=R4DQq&psc=1&refRID=GVXKY6QHXFGFV2SXWRJZ

I have this one and happy with it: https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-24-Port-Lifetime-Protection-JGS524PE/dp/B00GG1ACX2/ref=pd_sbs_147_5?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00GG1ADLS&pd_rd_r=GVXKY6QHXFGFV2SXWRJZ&pd_rd_w=LAV5z&pd_rd_wg=R4DQq&refRID=GVXKY6QHXFGFV2SXWRJZ&th=1

With these, you don't HAVE to do anything to them other then plug them in and turn them on.
You can configure them later down the road.
NOTE, they are not POE+ if that matters.

Jim Pederson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't see a problem with the one you ordered. As stated, it's a Dahua, and POE+.
Thanks all. I reordered the one they failed to deliver. Amazon refunded the first one. The gave me same day delivery on the replacement.
I will play with setting it up tomorrow. Never having used PoE before I worry it will fry my network cards LOL> SO i will connect an old laptop which is headed to the scrap heap to test it out first.
And wear a tin foil hat.
IMG_2090.jpg

Jim Pederson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OH yes,
After I run cable to the uplink port, and connect devices to PoE ports...
I wanted to ask if the SPF slot could be used with a module to run another Cat5e or 6 to another switch somewhere else?
I assume it cannot be used to go to another device (like a computer or printer) directly.

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Don't worry, you won't fry anything. The POE standards ensure that power is only delivered to devices that can handle it. Passive/proprietary POE found on some switches is another story though.

The SPF slot can be populated with any compatible module, including a Gigabit over copper. Once installed, it functions as any other Gigabit Ethernet interface and can be connected to anything you want.

I have the 18 port version of that switch and being limited to 100 Mbit on the POE ports isn't a problem because no single camera is pushing anything close to that.

Jim Pederson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you don't HAVE to do anything to them other then plug them in and turn them on
OK, I got 3 cams configured, I installed the BI Demo version, powered all three cams with above switch, added them to BI demo version, and can view live feed from all 3!
(Insert Happy Dance here.)
I was able to do a motion detected clip save on one of the cams, and review it.
Now need to set pointers to where I want files saved off of the SSD.

I will make up a wooden camera mount which is movable.
I want to place cameras at different positions, and play with settings. See what angles and positions gives best results.
I have a 100 foot STRANDED cross over cable lying around. I would not use that as a permanent connection, but Would that be suitable for short term testing?
The stranded is far more flexible to be moving about all the time.
I could make up a 100 foot cable out of the solid copper, but want to make sure I save enough for all my new runs.

When I chose from between two BI box candidates, I will purchase and install non-demo final version on that computer.
Will my demo settings and config save to final version?

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The 100' stranded patch cord will be fine for testing.

When I made my test rig, I marked heights with a marker and installed a hinge. Anything under 7' just uses the lower part of the wood, but I can flip up an extension and run a cable tie through a couple of eyes to test out higher locations.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK, I got 3 cams configured, I installed the BI Demo version, powered all three cams with above switch, added them to BI demo version, and can view live feed from all 3!
(Insert Happy Dance here.)
I was able to do a motion detected clip save on one of the cams, and review it.
Now need to set pointers to where I want files saved off of the SSD.

I will make up a wooden camera mount which is movable.
I want to place cameras at different positions, and play with settings. See what angles and positions gives best results.
I have a 100 foot STRANDED cross over cable lying around. I would not use that as a permanent connection, but Would that be suitable for short term testing?
The stranded is far more flexible to be moving about all the time.
I could make up a 100 foot cable out of the solid copper, but want to make sure I save enough for all my new runs.

When I chose from between two BI box candidates, I will purchase and install non-demo final version on that computer.
Will my demo settings and config save to final version?
Stranded is fine for test's.
Settings should export fine.
Have fun!