8K TV's for surveillance

LittleScoobyMaster

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I read an interesting article about the state of 8K recently (especially found it interesting how the cost for an 8K set has dropped 93% in 2 years from over $100,000 to $9,000) and it got me thinking about how I currently use 4K tv's for surveillance live viewing. And also, if another price drop of that magnitude will occur in the next 2 years or not. Or even a price drop close to that amount.

The Cheapest Package to Shoot 8K Video (Hint: It's Not Cheap)

I notice quite a bit of pixelation at 4K on a smaller 40 inch 4K tv set to the point where I think an 8K TV would make a big difference. This seems especially noticeable when I view 8 camera feeds on screen at the same time. Could just be scaling issues but I sometimes think it's the actual pixel size that is the problem. (as well as TV size).

The thing with 4K and 8K is that you really notice the detail if you are standing up looking at them from 2 feet away, which is often the case for how I watch live views.

Anyone else that has noticed pixelation on their 4K TV sets when viewing their cameras close up?

Do you think you would notice a big difference between 4K and 8K for surveillance camera viewing of multiple feeds?

Last edited:

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
My cams look very good on my 4k TV, even the cams at lower resolution. I sit about 15 feet from my 60" sony and never thought to look close up, I guess it depends on your application, i have set up quite a few viewing stations on 40" TV's and everybody seems happy with the viewing quality. My guess is you would NOt see too much difference between the two. I feed direct from a NVR and if you have the output set at the highest level it will make a difference.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
A 43 inch 4K display is the same DPI as a 21.5 inch 1080p computer monitor, and it only gets worse with larger screen sizes. So there is definitely room to improve. 8K has an uncertain future in television though. It is already hard to distinguish 1080p from 4K at normal television viewing distances, so 8K could be a hard sell. On the other hand, 2560x1440 displays on 5.5 inch cell phones are doing fine and that is way beyond what I can discern without a magnifying glass.

LittleScoobyMaster

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It is already hard to distinguish 1080p from 4K at normal television viewing distances, so 8K could be a hard sell.
Agreed, at normal viewing distances it can be difficult to see the differences. I always view at abnormal viewing distances. As an example, I many times walk right up to my TV monitoring my live feeds and look at the feeds closely to see if I can see the actual pixels. Many times I can see the pixels and other times I can see areas where if the pixels were smaller, the camera feeds would look better. I can see areas that would look better if they were aliased.