8mp, 1/1.2, with IR

ekbrewer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just want to confirm, since I can't find anything... Is there a Dahua 8mp camera with 1/1.2 or 1/1.0 sensor size AND IR? I don't want to use visible white light.
Thanks, Eric

aadje93

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
may i ask why not? Because even permanent floodlights scares away bad guys, there is waay less bugs on your camera's and due to the permanent light (LED = cheap light!) you can make stunning footage on hikvision colorvu cameras or dahua equivalent.

Personally i made the property with "high value target" permanent light with LED, and the rest motion detected.

Yes, they could kill the power and stun the camera's, but then the alarm will go right away

ekbrewer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Good points... 2 of my 5 cameras face my chickens, which are kind of like pets to us. Supplemental light at night increases their egg production, but decreases their lifespan. For the other 3 cameras, we live in the country and we like it dark at night. Not the best scenario for security, but I've been happy with IR.
Eric

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Have lights on sensors then. The new cameras react very quickly to changes in illumination so loss of picture is minimal. That way you have the best of both worlds, dark when there's no-one around and light when someone / thing triggers it. It will also serve as a kind of alarm as you will get a heads up if someone / thing is approaching yur chickens by the light coming on.

I think pretty much the reason why these cameras aren't ir sensitive is because they're so good in low light in colour that most people simply will never need ir. Colour has signifcant identification advantages as well.

aadje93

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Your chickens will be in their night house I hope, Im a coturnix quail breeder so I know the light 'issue'.

But then you have to place 2 varifocal next to each other to have them both zoomed in

. Or have motion activated lights. You can't fix zoom with more megapixel. I live in the country side too, but having the property lit does deter people with bad intentions. I haven't seen a single one yet dying the night hours.

It's best to place 2.8mm or 4mm overview cameras, and have narrow (choke) points where you have higher focal length models.

Heck, I even use a 2mp 32mm IR dome indoors on the horse stables just for this purpose, zoomed all the way into the door, where a 4mm above it gives a nice overview Of the stables. So anyone going in, has like 800ppm on its face

ekbrewer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Also interesting thoughts... Can the colorvu white LED's be motion activated or are they on all the time? Did you mean that or did you mean use a motion activated houselight?
Thanks, Eric

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Also interesting thoughts... Can the colorvu white LED's be motion activated or are they on all the time? Did you mean that or did you mean use a motion activated houselight?
Thanks, Eric
motion activated

aadje93

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Motion activated floodlights all over the place, and some outdoor stuff is dusk activated lit the whole night

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks, Eric
Cameras internal lights are generally dreadful. They're often inefficient on electricty and put out poor output.

As I said above, I'd consider going with a sensor light, most probably an LED Floodlight and a separate PIR sensor. The only occassion I wouldn't would be if the area of detection has lots of leaves or bushes in the area you're looking at in which ase false trigger might be an issue. If the grass is short, and trees / bushes are not in close proximity to the hen houses so there's nothing normally moving at night, then a sensor light should be reliable and will give a far better light. Just amke sure you get a white preferably daylight light to maximise the picture quality.