8MP 4K DS-2CD2686G2-IZS setting to prevent night time colour (Day) view flickering

ABCcam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
8MP 4K DS-2CD2686G2-IZS camera is set with Image setting Day/Night to 'Day' to force 24/7 colour image.
During the day it's ok.

At night there is enough lighting allowing clear colour view.
The problem is the no matter what settings i cannot get it to stop flickering randomly.
It does not flicker permanently but it is enough to not be acceptable.

Any idea what setting(s) can prevent this flickering?

Note: I have a 5MP 2K DS-2CD2655FWD-I which works perfectly fine with the exact same light conditions.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Without seeing video to see what the flickering looks like, a common issue is shutter speed in/out of sync of nearby lights. Try changing the shutter speed.

ABCcam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply.

Flicker example vid:
By shutter speed are you referring to exposure time?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah look at the exposure time as well as the iframe interval. Both of those can cause that flicker, but that looks more like an iframe to me. So try making it the same as the Frame Rate number and see if that improves it. Then try double and triple which is fine for what you are using that cam for.

1667531053005.png

ABCcam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, i will test that although it will have to be tonight - getting light here now.

Just frustrating as this is not at all an issue with the 5MP cam.

ABCcam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Changing i Frame interval to 5, 10, 15 20, 25 (=fps) , 50 or 100 does not make any difference.
Different exposure settings also make no difference.
Still get flicker and animal or tree branch movement makes it worse.
The flickering also occurs if set for night with IR, which implies it is not necessarily a colour view issue with the lighting.

It may be a power supply issue.
Power is via switch POE (this works fine for the 5MP cam).
Will try a dedicated POE power supply.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah power would be the next thing to look at.

wsmms

n3wb
Reaction score
One time I had this issue and the reason for it was the light source it was used in the place the camera was installed in so I would probably have a look at that too.

ABCcam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
One time I had this issue and the reason for it was the light source it was used in the place the camera was installed in so I would probably have a look at that too.
Hi,
Can you provide some detail?
The current setup uses 2 diffused LED lights mounted about 1m outwards and behind and 2m above the cam pointed towards the feeder area as shown n the video above.
The same setup has been used with the old 5MP cam - also 2.8 to 12mm HIKvision varifocal - for a long time and never has had any such issue.

ABCcam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Power via dedicated TPlink POE injector makes no difference.
Same issue of flickering.
What worse is there is picture ghosting that you normally get with very cheap Chinese knock-off cams.
See attached vid. - any movement causes the pic to jitter and there is extreme picture ghosting.

Not at all impressed with this camera.
Apart from this issue at night on further critical testing the firmware definitely needs a fix.
HLC backlight option is not worth using.
The 5MP 2K DS-2CD2655FWD-I cam which we have used for the past 3 years may not have the resolution but it definitely is much better quality.

Attachments