8MP Starlight Lite Varifocal IP Camera (IPC-T2831T-ZS) with Synology?

sidpost

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
8MP Starlight Lite Varifocal IP Camera - IP Cam Talk Store
  • Electronic Shutter Speed:Auto/Manual 1/3 s–1/100,000 s
  • Min. Illumination:0.008 Lux@F1.5
  • IR Distance:40 m (131.23 ft)
  • IR LEDs Number:2
Lens
  • Lens Type:Motorized vari-focal
  • Focal Length: 2.7 mm–13.5 mm
  • Max. Aperture: F1.5
  • Field of View Pan: 113°–31°;Tilt: 58°–17°;Diagonal: 138°–36°

8MP, 1/2.7″ CMOS image sensor
Outputs max. 8MP (3840 × 2160) @15 fps, and supports 2688×1520 @25/30 fps
H.265 codec

This turret camera seems to meet a lot of the suggestions from members on this site regarding my needs. With a 1/3 second shutter speed and F1.5 lens that goes from 2.7mm-13.5mm sounds good but, 1/2.7" (~9.4mm) doesn't seem too good for an 8MP image sensor. The 15FPS frame rate seems a little slow as well.

Is this a good camera to use with a Synology DS920+ with Surveillance Station? Or should I look for something a bit better? Variable focus is important to test out my specific needs in various locations which is part of the reason for wanting to use Synology with this "test mule".

TIA,
Sid

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I cannot speak to it's compatibility with your system, but the 2MP version will kick the 8MP version ALL NIGHT LONG...

The 8MP will need almost 4 times the amount of light of the 2MP at night - and you would be surprised how much light these cams really need.

It is simple LOL do not chase MP - do not buy a 4MP camera that is anything smaller than a 1/1.8" sensor. Do not buy a 2MP camera that is anything smaller than a 1/2.8" sensor. Do not buy a 4K (8MP) camera on anything smaller than a 1/1.2" sensor. Unfortunately, most 4k (8MP) cams are on the same sensor as a 2MP and thus the 2MP will kick its butt all night long as the 4k will need 4 times the light than the 2MP... 4k will do very poor at night unless you have stadium quality lighting (well a lot of lighting LOL). I have 33,000 lumens and the 4MP goes B/W and is basically blind, while the 2MP can stay in color. I could just imagine how poor the 8MP would be.

sidpost

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm having a lot of trouble finding a camera with a good sensor and lens. Everyone seems to be looking for the winner of the pixel wars.

:(

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 2MP I linked, while old, is still a great value camera at this point. I still have several in operation and are very good cameras.

Move up to the 5442 series for 4MP on the 1/1.8" sensor.

A good 8MP varifocal doesn't exist yet unless you get into the PTZ models.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
8MP Starlight Lite Varifocal IP Camera - IP Cam Talk Store
  • Electronic Shutter Speed:Auto/Manual 1/3 s–1/100,000 s
  • Min. Illumination:0.008 Lux@F1.5
  • IR Distance:40 m (131.23 ft)
  • IR LEDs Number:2
Lens
  • Lens Type:Motorized vari-focal
  • Focal Length: 2.7 mm–13.5 mm
  • Max. Aperture: F1.5
  • Field of View Pan: 113°–31°;Tilt: 58°–17°;Diagonal: 138°–36°

8MP, 1/2.7″ CMOS image sensor
Outputs max. 8MP (3840 × 2160) @15 fps, and supports 2688×1520 @25/30 fps
H.265 codec

This turret camera seems to meet a lot of the suggestions from members on this site regarding my needs. With a 1/3 second shutter speed and F1.5 lens that goes from 2.7mm-13.5mm sounds good but, 1/2.7" (~9.4mm) doesn't seem too good for an 8MP image sensor. The 15FPS frame rate seems a little slow as well.

Is this a good camera to use with a Synology DS920+ with Surveillance Station? Or should I look for something a bit better? Variable focus is important to test out my specific needs in various locations which is part of the reason for wanting to use Synology with this "test mule".

TIA,
Sid
Hi @sidpost

Most of the Dahua OEM IP PoE cameras we talk about here are meeting appropriate standards ( RTSP, ONVIF ) and should work with various 3rd party VMS options.

That noted, I would look for a camera that has a larger sensor .. imho 1/2.7" for 8MP is short for what I would look for ..

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Review - 8MP 1/1.2" sensor full color camera

sidpost

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Any recommendations for a good turret or bullet model from a preferred vendor would be appreciated. A good fixed lens with a good sensor in the 4MP range or 8MP would be appreciated along with a variable focus lens with similar quality.

I have been looking a lot at Empire Technology on Aliexpress and is a vendor here but, the sensors on the cameras I have looked at were all pretty small. I assume this is mainly due to supply chain and COVID issues. The IPC Store is the other one I have focused on.

Here is the layout I'm trying work with:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You have to forget what you know about DSLR cameras LOL.

Unless you plan to spend MEGA money, the cameras we have suggested to you by member @EMPIRETECANDY are as good as they come in the prosumer line. These are the same sizes pre-covid issues and that is not the issue - it is simply a supply issue, but they did not shrink the sensor sizes as a result of the supply issues. These are Dahua cameras and you can search their catalog and see that this is what is out there.

2MP on a 1/2.8" sensor or better
4MP on a 1/1.8" sensor or better
8MP on a 1/1.2" sensor or better

There just are not that many other sensor sizes out there for these types of cameras. Remember these are surveillance cameras, not DSLR cameras, so you have to check your expectations.

At the distances you are trying to cover, you really need to spend more time reviewing what we have already provided you in this thread and your other thread. We gave you recommendations on the best cameras for distance and MP. A fixed cam for IDENTIFY is limited in the distance it will cover.