A camera that detects vehicle speed?

tasadam

n3wb
Reaction score
Greetings!
I currently have a few cameras, one that is dedicated to LPR is from Empire Tech Andy, the IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E.
It’s been great, but what I am hoping to find is a camera that can also detect the speed of a vehicle and write that speed as part of the overlay data to the video. Or perhaps another solution if that doesn’t exist.
I have a real problem here with speeders, not uncommon to have vehicles pass as much as 70kph above the limit.
While the data cannot be used for police to prosecute, I am hoping I can represent the issue more accurately than I currently do - grab two frames 30 metres apart, work out the time, calculate the speed-distance-time calculation.

So, any cameras that can do that? Or, any other solutions?
Thank you.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Search is your friend around here....

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Unsure why you want this. In many jurisdictions. the speed probably wouldn't stand up in Court as evidence as I understand the equipment often has to be approved by the appropriate Government department , usually from a list of approved equipment, and calibrated to certain standards (and recalibrated at set intervals eg weekly).

The only use you may find for this therefore is as plain old CCTV, or in demonstrating a need for your Local Law Enforcement to set up a speed trap on your street. However, I wouldn't count on being able to get any speed convictions with your footage as evidence alone.

Vettester

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm not looking for speed convictions, just a tool to help identify people who are driving too fast in our neighborhood. If nothing else I can at least make them aware that someone is watching.

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
Boy I'm glad this isn't the 60's again as cameras would FRY me! My old '63 Galaxie 500 had them
valves that went clickly click. As the officer told my pops "Well, well, well, in excess of 140 MPH.
I was doing 120 last time I looked down and he left me like I was sitting still"!

Oh yea, I received 2 tickies 1 for reckless by speed $20 big bucks and $5 for improper equipment as my
headlights were off!