A couple questions from a newbie running on a budget

letmein

n3wb
Reaction score
First of all, stellar forum! So much to read so little time.

I hope someone knowledgeable is able to help.

First of all my needs,
Located in europe.
Parents inlaw: 3 camers (outdoors) and somewhere to record, preferably saved in the cloud (dropbox,onedrive, google drive or whatever free service)
Personal: single camera and somewhere to record, almost no light at night.

I'll enumerate my questions, so it's easier to answer and keep an overview.

1) Is there a better camera for the value than the Hikvision DS-2CD2332-I / DS-2CD3332-I (same camera right) now? Last time I read up on this, a few years back, the recommendation was from networkcameracritic (RIP). Also, for the camera you recommend what is a good price?

2) A dedicated desktop is not an option. Is there a cheaper stable solution than a dedicated NVR/DVR? for example perhaps raspberry pii setup or something like that? What would you recommend on a budget? (a poe switch, dvr/nvr and 3 cameras plus import taxes and shipping makes this quite expensive very fast).

3) If there is no other stable viable solution than a dedicated dvr/nvr, which do you recommend I get?

Thank you so much.

Last edited by a moderator:

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
1) 2332 and 3332 not same camera (3332 is chinese version and maybe plastic base). i) Your internet connection isn't fast enough to upload to the cloud, ii) Your cloud storage space is also to low. Forget about that idea and get e-mail alerts if you want a cloud record.
2) Get an NVR and keep it simple

My recommendation:
3x Hikvision DS-2CD2332-I and DS-7604NI-E1/4P for your in-laws
1x Dahua HDBW4421E-AS, a 12v power supply and a 128GB SD Card for your setup