A distracted driver hits the rear of my vehicle.

Reaction score
Make sure you save that video. Those insurance companies have a way of turning it around where it is your fault. Kind of like lawyers. I had that happen once. The insurance company stated that their client said it was not their fault. Go figure. Good luck and don't accept 3 party/used parts.
Thank for the tip. The insurance (state farm) which is who i have as well, tried to say it may be both of your fault and in that instance we just have both parties repair their own cars. I so no it's his fault and i have the dash cam to prove it. I already have the video on a flash drive. They are getting my rental car as well.

Reaction score
That'll buff right out!
Glad your not hurt, hope it doesn't appear later.
Yeah, second opinion on getting it fixed.
I suppose the police didn't bother to show up and or ticket him?
Make sure they check the frame well, being that the wheel was hit.
No i didn't call the police, i guess i saved him a ticket. And thanks for the tip on the frame @sebastiantombs mentioned that as well and i didn't think about it.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I said to have the rear suspension checked based on the damage to the wheel, and incidentally the repair should include a new wheel, but that would also include the frame like looney2nes mentioned. Most cars today have independent rear suspension so if one wheel gets hit that side can be knocked out of alignment. Independent rear suspension means a four wheel wheel alignment so make sure you get that looked at by a trustworthy mechanic or the dealer who'll want to sell you everything under the sun.

Reaction score
I said to have the rear suspension checked based on the damage to the wheel, and incidentally the repair should include a new wheel, but that would also include the frame like looney2nes mentioned. Most cars today have independent rear suspension so if one wheel gets hit that side can be knocked out of alignment. Independent rear suspension means a four wheel wheel alignment so make sure you get that looked at by a trustworthy mechanic or the dealer who'll want to sell you everything under the sun.
Yep I am going to let the repair dealer they suggested whom they trust give their estimate after i get a body shop near me, i trust, give their estimate.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That sucks. I'd consider settling privately. At least you are driving a mazda3 not something expensive and it doesn't look THAT bad. Consider a cash offer that covers repairs plus extra because value drop and inconvenience.
Oh do report to collision center btw.

Insurance here is generally shit. Even reporting not at fault screws you over because it counts as a claim. I have a trusted body shop that can get paint to match to look like factory for fantastic cash prices. Let me know if you are in GTA area.

Oh have wheel bearings and suspension checked. Alignment might be off and bearing might have been damaged.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Make sure you save that video. Those insurance companies have a way of turning it around where it is your fault. Kind of like lawyers. I had that happen once. The insurance company stated that their client said it was not their fault. Go figure. Good luck and don't accept 3 party/used parts.
Insurance is a scam and yeah OEM parts ONLY.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Whoot. Hope this gets quickly fixed and nobody else tries to run you over again!

Reaction score
That sucks. I'd consider settling privately. At least you are driving a mazda3 not something expensive and it doesn't look THAT bad. Consider a cash offer that covers repairs plus extra because value drop and inconvenience.
Oh do report to collision center btw.

Insurance here is generally shit. Even reporting not at fault screws you over because it counts as a claim. I have a trusted body shop that can get paint to match to look like factory for fantastic cash prices. Let me know if you are in GTA area.

Oh have wheel bearings and suspension checked. Alignment might be off and bearing might have been damaged.
Yes the alignment is off after the hit which i found to be weird because he hit the back wheel with his wheel and it was low speed. I will consider a cash option from them, i will be dropping it off at the dealership the insurance recommended. I have gone to a body shop near my home and they said no frame damage and the alignment is off, and they could replace the bumper or fix it to make sure it goes back on properly.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes the alignment is off after the hit which i found to be weird because he hit the back wheel with his wheel and it was low speed. I will consider a cash option from them, i will be dropping it off at the dealership the insurance recommended. I have gone to a body shop near my home and they said no frame damage and the alignment is off, and they could replace the bumper or fix it to make sure it goes back on properly.
If you already started a claim then no going back. Just stick with insurance route then.

Reaction score
How's the car repair going is it all fixed
Yes sir it is. The insurance adjuster decided to inflate the price to fix it. So they wanted to total the car, i said no the car is not totaled. She continues to tell me the adjuster said it needs rear door rear quarter panel, the rear wheel. Also she says they must have found damage under the bumper as well. I said the bumper is not even on the car and i have seen it there is no damage. I told her all they need to do is put the bumper back on. Any way they wanted to pay me the value and total it. I said no, so they decided to pay me the value and i could get it fixed my self. Which i did. 40 bucks in materials and its like it was before the guy knocked it off. I was paid good for my labor and my time. Vantop dashcam sent me another rear camera for free since the otherone had wires that were ripped out. IMG_3125.jpgIMG_3126.jpgIMG_3127.jpgIMG_3128.jpgIMG_3129.jpg

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah i was thinking about that wheel. It seemed to drive ok on the way home other than, the steering some how was out of alignment. I just couldn't see how that hit in the back would do that to the alignment. So i was thinking about letting another shop look at it before i take it to their shop. I called there shop and they want me to bring it on Monday.
The steering wheel is out of alignment because the alignment or relationship of all four wheels has been altered. There is unquestionably either structural or suspension component damage. Most likely, there is a bent or broken link/arm/strut or other component in the rear suspension. the reason it shows in the wheel is because the rear wheel(s) is causing the car to "crab" somewhat. Your car's ass is not following it's front all straight-in-a-line as it should.
Hopefully when doing the repair, you had it four-wheel aligned and inspected. Should be good to go.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The steering wheel is out of alignment because the alignment or relationship of all four wheels has been altered. There is unquestionably either structural or suspension component damage. Most likely, there is a bent or broken link/arm/strut or other component in the rear suspension. the reason it shows in the wheel is because the rear wheel(s) is causing the car to "crab" somewhat. Your car's ass is not following it's front all straight-in-a-line as it should.
Hopefully when doing the repair, you had it four-wheel aligned and inspected. Should be good to go.
It is all sorted, i had front lower control arms replaced because bushings were gone and had a 4 wheel alignment. Car drives like new, it is a great little car. I will be giving to my nephew turns 18 in december i am giving him defensive driving instructions. He will be taking the defensive driving course as well. Being his first car i am not sure how long he will have it before he starts hitting curbs and things. He will have a better car to start with than my first car.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes sir it is. The insurance adjuster decided to inflate the price to fix it. So they wanted to total the car, i said no the car is not totaled. She continues to tell me the adjuster said it needs rear door rear quarter panel, the rear wheel. Also she says they must have found damage under the bumper as well. I said the bumper is not even on the car and i have seen it there is no damage. I told her all they need to do is put the bumper back on. Any way they wanted to pay me the value and total it. I said no, so they decided to pay me the value and i could get it fixed my self. Which i did. 40 bucks in materials and its like it was before the guy knocked it off. I was paid good for my labor and my time. Vantop dashcam sent me another rear camera for free since the otherone had wires that were ripped out. View attachment 69601View attachment 69602View attachment 69603View attachment 69604View attachment 69605
Good stuff.

Personally I use Meguiars Ultimate Compound and polish. It's probably similar.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.