A few Blue Iris questions

Reaction score
1) I can only install on one PC? I installed on the recording server. Then, I also installed on my travel laptop thinking it might have an option to connect to my recording server and serve as a remote interface.
Now on the server I'm getting the "Blue Iris Evaluation Version" banner on my feeds.
how do I remotely put the license back on the server?

2) Live view works fine but I can't stream videos now that I'm remote. I configured my cameras to record direct to disk without any transcoding. And set it to mp4. I'm remote and trying to watch clips from the webpage on my laptop but I just get this error:

ERROR:
The video stream was lost. Due to rapid failures, automatic reconnection will resume at <time>
Server is unavailable
1688236485633.png

1688237670133.png

My only access right now is through webpage on my Windows laptop and Android cellphone.
I'm using TailScale for the remote "VPN" type of connection.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
1) I can only install on one PC? I installed on the recording server. Then, I also installed on my travel laptop thinking it might have an option to connect to my recording server and serve as a remote interface.
Now on the server I'm getting the "Blue Iris Evaluation Version" banner on my feeds.
how do I remotely put the license back on the server?

2) Live view works fine but I can't stream videos now that I'm remote. I configured my cameras to record direct to disk without any transcoding. And set it to mp4. I'm remote and trying to watch clips from the webpage on my laptop but I just get this error:

ERROR:
The video stream was lost. Due to rapid failures, automatic reconnection will resume at <time>
Server is unavailable
View attachment 166691

View attachment 166697

My only access right now is through webpage on my Windows laptop and Android cellphone.
I'm using TailScale for the remote "VPN" type of connection.
1) yes its per pc. You can purchase a second license at a discount and install on your laptop. There is a specific remote function that will connect to your server and allow you to essentially duplicate the BI server interface. However, you can do this with windows remote desktop already (make sure to change the settings in BI to allow unlimited fps when using RDP). You can also use UI3 as you are trying to do...this is the best solution for most remote viewing unless you need to change camera settings.

You should first deactivate BI within the settings from your laptop, then re-enter the license on your pc.

2) is this issue occurring with all clips or only recent clips? When you record to MP4, the open clip cannot be played. You should be recording to BVR.

Reaction score
1) Thanks! Unfortunately, I'm out of state so I can't re-enter the license on the server. That's why I'm asking if it can be done with the webpage.
I did not enable RDP.

2) The issue is with all clips regardless of age. So MP4 is a no-go across the board? That stinks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
1) Thanks! Unfortunately, I'm out of state so I can't re-enter the license on the server. That's why I'm asking if it can be done with the webpage.
I did not enable RDP.

2) The issue is with all clips regardless of age. So MP4 is a no-go across the board? That stinks.
You should always have a way to remote in. RDP or similar.

MP4 has a limitation where the file cannot be written to while its open and being actively written to. If you set BI to break the clip every minuet then in theory you will could watch a recent event after one minuet. This will present a problem because it will result in thousands of small files. There is nothing wrong with BVR - a propriety file format is standard with vms and NVR's for the reasons stated.. You can export to mp4 if you need footage.