a few nights later

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I am pretty impressed with your local Law Enforcement with their response to basically just a 'suspicious person' call.

vandyman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I hope the pupper got a well deserved Scooby snack.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you ever watch Live PD on A&E the K9 officers take their time calling the dog off the perp in cases where they resisted, fled, etc....kind of a "reward" for the dog...like a chew toy of sorts. :rolleyes:

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
I am pretty impressed with your local Law Enforcement with their response to basically just a 'suspicious person' call.
We see a pretty good response time across the country with departments. The difference when we call it in is, we are reporting a live event and we are able to give real time info to the dispatcher. With a burglar alarm or video verified alarm call, most departments see them as being false most of the time. 4-8 minutes seems to be the average time for officers to respond. Don't use our video for reference because most of the time officers arrive in the area and set up a perimeter first. Our cameras don't usually capture this, but the dispatcher will let us know that an officer or several officers are in the area.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
I suspect that the departments are very familiar with your company and take your calls more seriously because you don't bother them with false alarms, AND you're able to give good directions, locations, descriptions, etc., and stay on the line with them and help them find the bad guys, resulting in more successes and less wasted time with GOA-UTL results. In short, a more professional relationship.

You are also more likely to do a good job of pre-screening what you see and not bugging the police unless it really is something worth their time.

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would think that one main difference is you must have a good number to call the police. The average Joe has to call 911. Ever try to look up the emergency report number to your local police dept? There is only a general operator number for any type of call (non-emergency). I worry about this if I get a push notification for an alarm while out of state. If you call 911 for an out of state break in they will probably say WTF? I keep the general phone number to my local Sheriff Dept for that purpose. Anyone else solve this problem?

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I would think that one main difference is you must have a good number to call the police. The average Joe has to call 911. Ever try to look up the emergency report number to your local police dept? There is only a general operator number for any type of call (non-emergency). I worry about this if I get a push notification for an alarm while out of state. If you call 911 for an out of state break in they will probably say WTF? I keep the general phone number to my local Sheriff Dept for that purpose. Anyone else solve this problem?
Our dispatch center has a “non-emergency” number too that I save in my phone. Calling 911 is good if you are in the location of the incident.. dispatchers get more info from your phone (location, number, provider etc) if you call 911 vs a standard number. Otherwise non-emergency is fine. In our county the same dispatchers answer the phone no matter what number you call. They just put you on hold if something more important is coming in. If you call 911 out-state just specify right away what county/state you need and they will transfer you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
In case of a large incident where the phones lines or cell channels are full, a call to 911 will go through long before a call to a normal number.
911 has it's own circuits and network.

After saying that, the call gets to dispatch, and it's up to them how they handle it.