A mugging ... before and after

Reaction score
I meant to post this story a few days ago, but had too much on my plate. Last Sunday at about 10 p.m., a police officer knocked on my door and told me that someone had been mugged right down the street from my house just an hour earlier. The victim said the muggers ran up in the direction of my house, and a neighbor who captured the mugging on his Wyze cam told the officer that "the man in that house over there has some really good cameras". The officer asked if I could check my cameras, which I was glad to do.

As it turned out, my system had recorded everything except the mugging itself. In this video you can see the victim walk by my house, and then a few minutes later the getaway vehicle (a stolen Nissan Xterra with a fake paper license plate) stops just past my home and waits for four teenagers to walk up the street and get into the vehicle. Fortunately the victim was not badly hurt, but the officer was thrilled that I had captured details about the vehicle and the clothing worn by the perps.

The officer gave me the card of a detective who was working this case, and asked if I could put my video footage onto Youtube and send the detective a link. As it turned out, this same group had committed several other crimes in that same vehicle over the past few nights. But this time the police had more to go on - they had the color and model of the vehicle, they knew it was 15 to 20 years old (1st generation Xterra), they knew it was missing hubcaps, and they knew it had a paper tag (since my LPR camera couldn't image it).

I was contacted by the detective the next morning, who thanked me for the video, and told me that the entire group had been captured downtown in the vehicle later than night, still carrying the victim's stolen iPhone. The vehicle they were in and the clothing they were wearing exactly matched what was in the video. They were not going to get away with any claim that "We found this stuff - we didn't mug anyone!"

So the moral is that even when you don't get a good image of a license plate, good video can still make a difference in solving a crime.

Reaction score
What cameras if you don't mind?
"FRONT EAST" is an Amcrest IP8M-2597E, an 8 MP camera with a 6mm lens and a 1/1.8" sensor, which provides a good color image at night. Like most Amcrest cameras, it's essentially a rebranded Dahua camera, although I don't know the equivalent Dahua part number. I've been very impressed with the performance of the 1/1.8" sensor (see below).

"FRONT YARD" is a Dahua IPC-HFW4830E-S. It's been a decent 8 MP camera, but I plan to upgrade it to a newer camera with a 1/1.8" sensor.

"PTZ FRONT" is a Dahua SD49225T-HN, which is a popular choice as a PTZ camera among many here on ipcamtalk.com. One of its functions is to monitor my parked Honda RAV4 in case someone tries to break into it. As you can see from the video, I also zoom out and offset the field of view to capture a full image of people walking down the street. The drawback is that the very bright image of the RAV4 tends to wash out the images of people on the opposite side of the street, but it works well enough.

Last edited:

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
"FRONT EAST" is an Amcrest IP8M-2597E, an 8 MP camera with a 6mm lens and a 1/1.8" sensor, which provides a good color image at night. Like most Amcrest cameras, it's essentially a rebranded Dahua camera, although I don't know the equivalent Dahua part number. I've been very impressed with the performance of the 1/1.8" sensor (see below).

"FRONT YARD" is a Dahua IPC-HFW4830E-S. It's been a decent 8 MP camera, but I plan to upgrade it to a newer camera with a 1/1.8" sensor.

"PTZ FRONT" is a Dahua SD49225T-HN, which is a popular choice as a PTZ camera among many here on ipcamtalk.com. One of its functions is to monitor my parked Honda RAV4 in case someone tries to break into it. As you can see from the video, I also zoom out and offset the field of view to capture a full image of people walking down the street. The drawback is that the very bright image of the RAV4 tends to wash out the images of people on the opposite side of the street, but it works well enough.
Ok those are pretty impressive. I want a 1/1.8" 4K now. Ideally one with varifocal and 2 way audio. If only such a thing exists.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Excellent! Nice catch. My cameras do catch street views but the street lights are really dim. You have to be realistic about color ability in the conditions you have. I can only do b&w but it's a good quality regardless.